T.S.S. Steering slop !

Vmax540

Every Used T.S.S. sled I've bought the Knuckles and steel bushing are almost frozen or completely locked up and pivoting on the bolts ! I've bought sleds that the locked up joints won't even allow the springs to return let, alone the struts to work when hitting a bump. The T.S.S sleds have always gotten a bad rap for slop developing when the ungreased steel bushing's freeze up they grind away on the nylon washers ! I have sleds that are 15+ years old that have never had a bushing kit and are almost as tight as new. Just take the knuckles apart every 2-3 years and the ski mount every year and grease !

Vmax540 said:
Every Used T.S.S. sled I've bought the Knuckles and steel bushing are almost frozen or completely locked up and pivoting on the bolts ! I've bought sleds that the locked up joints won't even allow the springs to return let, alone the struts to work when hitting a bump. The T.S.S sleds have always gotten a bad rap for slop developing when the ungreased steel bushing's freeze up they grind away on the nylon washers ! I have sleds that are 15+ years old that have never had a bushing kit and are almost as tight as new. Just take the knuckles apart every 2-3 years and the ski mount every year and grease !

I agree lack of maintenance is the killer!
They do offer stainless steel shims to help take out the slop.

Stainless steel washers will take up the slop, but the kits they offer are very expensive, especially considering you aren't going to use all of the different size washers. I would try the local hardware or bolt supply first. Even if you have to surface grind them to size, it would probably be cheaper. My little brother has a Vmax-600 and he drilled and tapped the knuckles for grease fittings and just shoots grease in them every once in a while.
Shark

the kit i believe is called the metalman kit...your right mark you'll only end up using the stainless shims to get rid of the loose out of the knuckles....!

Yep! I second what Vmax540 says!

I bought a set of new bushings to my Vmax4 from my dealer, talk about $$$$$$$$

Ike

Dennis kirk sells a tss shim kit for about $30. (atleast they did 2-3 years ago).

Back