Thinking Viper

WildMax

Been thinking about adding a Viper to the fleet. Heard a few pros and cons. I like the engine but don't like trailing arms for going off the trail. Anybody had much experience with the Viper???

I have a 02 and like it. The suspension was too stiff for my liking so I went with the shock upgrade, it's a little on the soft side but much better on the back than the original setup. When I first got the sled I was really disappointed with the performance. My Vmax-4 would leave it in the dust and it wasn't much faster than my Vmax 500. I changed the track and added a torque limiter and it now the Vmax-4 barely takes it in a drag race on hard pack snow.

I like my Viper

I like my Viper it is an 02 just got over 270 miles on it and its running good. Climbs great good power not as much as my vmax4 used to have both the viper and vmax4 I had were modded psis and boyesen petals on v4 and bender and vforce 3 on Viper. may big bore the viper some time 835.

Good info, thanks. I've passed up a couple of deals on Vipers - piped and loaded. One was a little over $3000 and the other wants $4000 (mountain). I just don't think they're what I'm looking for - a good cross country machine for boondocking, trails, non-serious mountain.

I really like the SRX for the trails but in my rider groups' experience, they are a terrible off trail sled. I'm not sold on the RX1 for off trail but the new Attack looks like it might fit the bill but hard to justify the $$$ for what little we use them. Also had a Mountain Max 700 but it just didn't have the power we're used to. My long track SRX would totally outclimb it in the Big Horns and the MM would seem to power out a lot sooner in deep stuff.

I hate to say it but some of those Cats seem pretty nice for that. I visited with one guy who has a Cat 800 EFI Cross Country and also an SRX. He claims the 800 efi outperforms his SRX in every catagory, including speed. I suppose he could be right, after all, it is an 800 against a 700. Then I visited with another group who had both Cats and Yamahas (Mountain Viper and Mountain Max) - they said each (Cat and Yamaha) were great sleds and had good points and each make rode different. They felt the Cats were better for off trail.

From what I've seen in the mountains, Yamaha is definetly in the minority.

Back