Tors light on??

ALLSEASONRIDER

What's up with the Tors system? Last night as I was preparing to pull my 96 800 off the trailer, the Tors light kept coming on and the rev-limiter was kicking in. It would kick on just before engagement. I am assuming this is what it is supposed to do but why now?

I have temporarilly unplugged the system and it runs awesome, but I would like to solve the problem.

Any suggestions would be great....thanks in advance....

Loosen the locknut on your throttle cable and adjust so you have lots of slack in the throttle cable. Then start it up and adjust the Idle with the screw that the Tors wire is connected to. Then adjust your throttle cable so that you remove most of the slack. The throttle needs to return and press the TORS micro-switch. If it does not do that, then the TORS will activate.

Also check to make sure your throttle cable end is in the throttle lever properly. If the little end on the cable pops halfway out or something it could hold the throttle partially open.

There is also a TORS switch in the throttle lever block that works in conjunction with the one on at the carbs. The slack in the throttle cable is critical to the TORS operation.

I had the same issue when I first got my V-Max 4, but I started it with the hood removed, so I had no idea why it would not rev up fast enough to engage the clutch. Once I put the hood on and connected the connectors and saw the light, then I had to look it up, as I didn't know what TORS was.

Last edited:
also check and make sure at the throttle lever, that it pivots foward when you gas it otherwise it will activate as well.worn pivot washers could be the culprit(worn out and hanging up or obstructed with ice or something)

Thanks guys for the info.

It might actually have something to do with ice. We had some rain here and when I took the cover off it was almost glued on by ice. Normally it's inside but not on that night.:frech32:

I will dig into this further and post what I find out.....

tors light blinking

hey i just purchased a vmax 4 and the tors light is blinking all the time has no problem other then that how can i get it to go off or fix it.

I just unplugged the switch and plugged the wires back together to test mine. It worked fine, but you should really get to the bottom of what might be going on. Read above posts as there is good info on what to diagnose. Maybe the throttle play is wrong, switch is malfunctioning etc.

Back