tunnel coolers

rustman

Anyone ever move the tunnel coolers to the running boards? I want to run a 1.5" track and I dont want to trim any lugs, moving the coolers seems to be my best option. Any thoughts or opinions?

rustman. easy enough done if you get a pair of coolers off on older ''wedge style Polaris''. 90,s style that fit right under the running boards. But I would think you would now have a problem with the absence of snow being flung on the coolers with which the track provide in marginal snow. Definately wouldn,t want it to idle too long either, unless you had some deep snow to drag along the coolers from time to time...Rob.

Hmm, i was hoping to use the stock coolers. You think cooling could be an issue even with the rad, front and rear exchangers functional. My plan is to use this sled in deep snow more than anything else, its not gonna be for trail cruising. Also curious why the wedge style polaris coolers over any else. i was leaning towards srx or sxr style if the vmax-4 stock exchangers prove to be too much of a hassle to adapt.

I always wanted to try this but never got around to it. If I were to do it, I'd take the time to take some dimensions off the 700 SRX, 700 Viper, 700 SX coolers and see how they would fit on the Vmax-4 chassis. I think the added bonus would be a stiffer chassis with the running board coolers.

Keep us posted and please take lots of pictures if you do this mod.

Ken

I did it recently. i am running a 1,75" track with 8 tooth drivers. but clearence was too little in front of tunnel.
I installed a rear cooler from a LT to get more cooling under tunnel.

It looks like a plummers nightmare, but it's made of what i had laying around. i would have prefeered 90 degree rubber hoses in stead, some places, but in all it works fine.

The track is not all clear of the hose protector/shield under tunnel when suspension buttoms out, so it rubs against shield a little. I don't know if i am going to reroute hose yet.
Until now it's okay.

Attachments

• IMG_4346.jpg
    IMG_4346.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_4334.jpg
    IMG_4334.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_4335.jpg
    IMG_4335.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_4336.jpg
    IMG_4336.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_4337.jpg
    IMG_4337.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_4338.jpg
    IMG_4338.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_4342.jpg
    IMG_4342.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_4343.jpg
    IMG_4343.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_4345.jpg
    IMG_4345.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 108
rustman. I mentioned the Polaris coolers as they are a dime a dozen, can be purchased cheap, fit beutiful (neat and tidy) under the running boards, and the hose routing is up front. I would say off the top of my head, that they would also have enough surface area to disipate heat on the V-4. I didn,t think you were running in deeper snow, as you are usually talking about river runs, so I was wondering if you would have had enough cooling capacity. Cast your eyes on a pair of Polaris coolers if you can to get a look see as to how they would work for you. Hope this helps...Rob.

The first '92 I picked up had the coolers relocated to the side of the tunnel and seems to work well. Who ever did it did a nice job.

Back