Turbo Vmax-4 Rebuild

Master of Faster

Thought I'd share the project I'm working on. For a little background, this is my Vmax-4 with a turbo RX-1 engine. Some of you may recall when I originally put this together. First go around was with a trail turbo setup at 13 lbs of boost. Ended up blowing that engine a few years back (was a 10k+ mile trail engine on stock rods). So, with a new and improved engine and bigger turbo, I found that I was overpowering the chassis pretty severly.

To hopefully correct that, I'm swapping out the old 136" wahl I had for a 144" Pro-Stock Inc skid. The stock tunnel was in pretty rough shape, so I decided to build a new one piece tunnel out of thicker material to stiffen things up. The bulkhead also had some damage from a blown track many years ago, so wanted to take care of that at the same time. Currently, I have the bulkhead patched in, new tunnel bent and attached, and suspension mounted. Will be moving on to finishing the back of the tunnel and running boards next, and will post more pictures of the progress.

Yes, staying with the RX-1 engine since its what I've got and its a pretty strong piece. I've been looking at options to go fuel injected, which may ultimately end up being an Apex engine, but the plan is to get the sled back together this year with what I've got so I can at least get the chassis dialed in.

Got to spend a little more time on it today. Cut out the running boards. These will be finished with chromoly tubing on the edges and tied into the foot holds. Also got the rear of the tunnel capped/welded.

Worked on the foot holds today, mounted seat, and bumper. The foot holds on the last tunnel were clean and sleek looking, but I did slip off of them a couple times. So this time, I decided to go with something pretty aggressive that you can really lock into.

Started with a set of yfz 450 foot pegs:

Cut them down, & capped the ends:

Mounted to the tunnel. I'll be tying these in with the running board edges for additional support once the material comes in.

Just curious to why you went with the 144 pro stock over a 144 wahl ,suspension looks great.I have never heard of it before your post.

The Pro-Stock Inc skid came highly recommended by a friend who ran it and they are also in my home state. Certainly nothing against Wahl Bros.

Starting to make a mess now..... got the running board edges mostly finished and have moved on to wiring. Set the motor in temporarily just for routing purposes. The wiring is all new because I'm going away from the stock ignition to an MSD setup. The only pieces of the stock system I'm using is whats needed to charge the battery.

Here's the latest, been busy the last few weeks trail riding and getting caught up on some other projects, but making good progress now. I'm thinking we're only a couple weeks away from having it ready to fire up and make some test passes (ice permitting).

Got the running board edges all finished up, and dropping off for powdercoat tomorrow

Set the hood on it to finish wiring the gauges

Here's a shot of some of the new wiring harness. We used braided loom for the whole harness, and weatherpack connectors on just about every connection.

Here is the switch panel. Ran the ignition, fuel pump, and gauges all on separate switches. The empty hole is for the tether switch, and the USB port is for programming the ignition.

Been slacking on the pictures lately, but here is where it's at. Got it assembled up to the turbo. Getting close now. Just hoping the weather cooperates to accommodate getting this thing out a couple times.

Back