V-max 4 help!

needavmax4

What is all involved in the 180 degree conversion kit and how does it work how much HP is there to gain

Last edited:

It involves pulling the engine, splitting the cases and orientating the crank halves so two cylinders on each half are reaching TDC at the same time. Can be 1-3 and 2-4 or 1-4 and 2-3. The top end needs to come off on a 750 to do this as the cranks must be pulled from the upper case to get them apart from each other. It can be done on an 800 by just removing the lower case and the PTO shaft then turning the cranks to orientate (they are timed to the PTO gear and not to each other like on the 750).

A CDI change to a 180 box is needed to correct the timing of the stock 90 box.

I don't know what the HP increase would be. Those that do this say it gives a much stronger out of the hole pull/torque. I've never seen a dyno sheet with two identical engines setup 180 vs 90 to see a comparison.

opsled

go to 1 shim head gasket and raise the jugs buy using a thicker base gasket and swirl port ur head u will make 156 to 158

well I ran into a problem it doesn't matter how much HP I have it is useless if I have cracked primary and it is not even the same clutch as oem it looks like it is from a phazer 2 480

Do you have a picture of your clutch, a manufacture name, or any numbers we can see? I don,t think you would get a phazer clutch on the shaft taper and have it fit properly on that sled. Vmax 4,s had a clutch all on their own thats why they are getting hard to come by, and guys that do have them, tend to hold on to them...Rob.

save ur self a hole bunch of trouble and put a really good team primary p85 polaris clutch on that sled u can get from hartman inc in the states hes a yami dealer that is a 30 mm tapered shaft on ur sled

You have no clue what you even have for a primary and you want to setup a 97 Vmax-4 MM to race. Don't know hp, don't know much of anything apparantly about a 4. There are many here who could dial you in to perfection but it's clear you don't have respect for the machine you own. Don't expect help from those that do.

Sell it and buy something that is built to do what you want or go back and play paddycakes with bluemonster at TY.

You have a rarity that many would give a left nut for and you are treating it like a notch in your gunbelt. I don't respect that.

opsled

You have no clue what you even have for a primary and you want to setup a 97 Vmax-4 MM to race. Don't know hp, don't know much of anything apparantly about a 4. There are many here who could dial you in to perfection but it's clear you don't have respect for the machine you own. Don't expect help from those that do.

Sell it and buy something that is built to do what you want or go back and play paddycakes with bluemonster at TY.

You have a rarity that many would give a left nut for and you are treating it like a notch in your gunbelt. I don't respect that.

opsled

WTF!!!! what kinda help is this, I posted a picture of the primary that is on this sled from the portyamaha microfiche, I know this is not original primary for this sled thats why I'm asking both on TY and V-max4.com for help in finding something that will work, I'm still reading up a bunch of posts on here and TY for more info on these sleds Plus I do know what I have here and so what if its Fuckin Unicorn I intend on using it as racesled whether it be stock or modified

Thank You

its highly unlikely it is a phazer clutch, maybe similar but not the same. Tapers are different sizes. If you really dont give an eff then grind the fins off your magneto housing and use your SRX clutch or any yamaha primary from 97 and up for that matter. What it sounds like to me is a '92 clutch, if the weights are 89a's, now if the weights are 89a-10 then the clutch is possibly from a 93 or 94. Stock weights should be 8bu-10. If it's just the moveable sheave, then crack the clutch and replace it, here's a list they come on http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts/detail/yamaha/YP-8BV-17620-01-00.html. If you look harder too, you will find that this part number was replaced by another one and is available on these machines http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-8BV-17620-11-00.html Really, the major difference between the vmax-4 clutches and the newer ones is the clearance between the fixed sheave and the magneto housing. Vmax-4 fixed sheave has room to clear the housing, the rest do not, and the fins will have to be ground down. Seems barbaric to me, but I'm sure lots of people have done it. I should also mention that the sliding sheaves I mentioned are the new style ones and will not have the white plastic sliders.

Last edited:
WTF!!!! what kinda help is this, I posted a picture of the primary that is on this sled from the portyamaha microfiche, I know this is not original primary for this sled thats why I'm asking both on TY and V-max4.com for help in finding something that will work, I'm still reading up a bunch of posts on here and TY for more info on these sleds Plus I do know what I have here and so what if its Fuckin Unicorn I intend on using it as racesled whether it be stock or modified

Thank You

You buy this 4 and now you're struttin this thing all over here and TY telling everyone how you're going to make a race sled out of it and you don't even own a clutch puller to pull a Yamaha primary........

Nuthin but smoke.

I see the death of another 4 coming.

opsled

You buy this 4 and now you're struttin this thing all over here and TY telling everyone how you're going to make a race sled out of it and you don't even own a clutch puller to pull a Yamaha primary........

Nuthin but smoke.

opsled

I do own a Yamaha clutch puller as I do run a 2000 SRX on grass snow and Ice, so whats your point!
but as Yammiegod Tony stated it won't work they need there own puller

The sled you have is rare,less than 100 sold on the planet.(that makes it more rare than the 78 SSR) Hope you can understand that a lot of people will take offence to someone wanting to mod it for racing. A better choice IMHO would have been a 95. All the info you need is already posted on this site. Use the search option. Welcome to the site.

Last edited:

Nuthin but smoke.

opsled

So what if I'm struttin all over the forums with this sled, I bought the sled to ride it whether it be racing or trail riding not for it to sit in this guys garage for another 10 yrs with a broken clutch. If you don't have any help for me don't F@$#^$ post in my threads

The sled you have is rare,less than 100 sold on the planet.(that makes it more rare than the 78 SSR) Hope you can understand that a lot of people will take offence to someone wanting to mod it for racing. A better choice IMHO would have been a 95. All the info you need is already posted on this site. Use the search option. Welcome to the site.

Thanks for the heads on the search and I'm using it all the time. I know about it being a rare sled and I don't plan on modding it all out just your average STOCK sled for a every other weekend race How is that going to kill it, I do know how too work on a sled not my first Rodeo

Thanks Fastmax

Back