Vintage eye candy: intercooled, Aerocharged V Max-4

Turboyam

Old Fart missing Turbo 2 stroke!
Here are a couple of scanned paper pictures of my 1992 (with a 800 engine), that i put together in 1994!. After a few years of detonations (11 melted pistons over the first 3 years), i decided to design and construct a very special, very efficient tunnel heat exchanger, one that even track "wind" alone, would do the job, cuz i really wanted to have an intercooler. The combo, worked so well that i had no melt-downs for 5 years after these mods. To impress my friends, i could open-up the hood real quick, after a WOT run and put my bare hands on the engine's cylinder; they were very comfortably "warm".
I worked A LOT on that sled, learned a lot from the 9 years i had it turbocharged. After that, i went-on and built a lot more V Max-4 turbos (2 more) and a host of turbo RX-1'S and an Apex. I even had a turbo Argo! hahaah!.

Attachments

• V Max-4 Turbo1.jpg
    V Max-4 Turbo1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • V Max-4 Turbo2.jpg
    V Max-4 Turbo2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4

I will say that, i was religiously adding VP C-5 octane booster (Good!), using Klotz Techniplate oil (oh that smell!) and i modified the powerjet circuit, with a 12 volt fuel solenoid that started to add fuel at 8psi boost.
Made the silencer myself (it was rebuildable), and made the fresh air to turbo duct too. I will post more pictures as i scan them.

I have the urge to re-construct one very similar to this, call it nostalgia, but, i am looking for a nice, good working order V Max-4!
If anyone in the upper-eastern US or Canada has one, let me know please!.
For the longest time, i' ve been thinking about a turbo V-Max 540 too. Same general layout; a radiator in the front, that i could swap with an intercooler and my exchanger in the tunnel...
I read somewhere (maybe Kevin Cameron?) that a piston-port engine is not the best for turbo charging, i'll have to investigate if i ever do that.

Ok i'm very sorry for the pictures quality, it's horible. The pictures are in a photo album and, sitting there for so long that the protective film is stuck there!. I have to take picts, of the pictures so yeah :( .

Attachments

• 000_1665.JPG
    000_1665.JPG
    630.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 000_1666.JPG
    000_1666.JPG
    633 KB · Views: 2
  • 000_1667.JPG
    000_1667.JPG
    619.3 KB · Views: 2
  • vmax4.JPG
    vmax4.JPG
    648.7 KB · Views: 2
  • vmax5.JPG
    vmax5.JPG
    639.2 KB · Views: 1
Thank you for sharing. I've been here for a long time and I don't remember ever seeing that sled. I think only us old guys have "photo albums" that you don't dare try to peel the plastic off. I've digitized thousands of photos the last few years, and it's important to save them before they're gone forever.

I always used a pump gas safe ( with intercooling and octane booster) 8psi boost. Fuel pressure; 2psi plus boost pressure so 10psi.
At the begining of my turbo venture, i used SwainTech ceramic coated Wiseco turbo pistons and still melted em :( .
The secret; high octane and low operating temps!.

Back