Vmax 4 longevity??

Tyler

I have been reading allot about the max since I am now a proud new owner and I started to pick up allot of hints that they are very reliable... So I was thing I should start a thread to get peoples experience with their 4's. I'm hoping that people could post their total miles/kilometres/rebuilds get a picture or longevity...

Thank you

Keep them maintained, and you should be fine for longevity. What year is your sled?? That will make a difference for things to watch out for. Making sure the carbs are clean, and properly jetted would be my first mission with a new sled. I'd hate to burn a window into the top of a piston or something.

I have about 15k on my sled now, and the heads/jugs have never been cracked.

Mine is a 95 st with 4000 miles on it. I just bought it from a member here and it is now blown after 5 miles they guy i got it from told me it was ready to ride what he didnt tell me is that he took off the oil injector..... Nice.... Now yamaha said the bill will be around 2700 bucks to have it fixed. lucky me.

Oh man!!! Thats rough! Did he take it off, or did it fall off or something?? What blew on it?? Id be carefull on what the dealer wants to sell you, its prob much less expensive and not as bad as they make it out to be. What happened exactly??

Mine is a 95 st with 4000 miles on it. I just bought it from a member here and it is now blown after 5 miles they guy i got it from told me it was ready to ride what he didnt tell me is that he took off the oil injector..... Nice.... Now yamaha said the bill will be around 2700 bucks to have it fixed. lucky me.

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that said....the original owner of my 1995 vmax 4, ran it completly out of oil....the first year he had it...(what a moron, i guess he could`nt see the WORKING oil light on the dash)..

anyway, he took it to a dealership, who then ripped the whole motor down..they inspected the crank, and fund it to be fine...then they replaced all 4 cylinders, pistons and rings...

so ya may get lucky (if that`s what ya want to call it), and get away with newly plated cylinders and a set of pistons and rings..but still..that`s alotta $$$

are you absolutly SURE whoever sold you the sled did`nt mention the oil injector was disconected?

Ya I wouldnt say it if I wasnt sure. But what do ya do. So i told the Dealer (who is a very good guy and I trust completly and im not a very trusting person) that I want it done right with all oem parts and the entire sled checked from bumper to bumper so he figured 1500 parts and 1000 labour 2700 with taxes. He figured 20 hours and would only charge for 12@ 80p/h this is all CND money.

WOW! sorry to hear your trouble ,but once you ride it you will be happy again and it will last a long time.

No wonder you have reliability problem. so sad.

About reliability, and vmax 4. before vmax came,i had only seen 2 snowmobiles with 20.000+ km. now many the 4's uphere has gone beyond that. never seen a 700+cc cat or polaris do that.

Over 23,000 miles on my 1992 Vmax-4, I have updated a few things over the years including a long travel rear skid plus...

I found a wrecked 1996 V4 back in the late 90's and swapped over the complete engine/drivetrain (the original engine is still going strong in a friends sled)

I have one 93 eveyday runner never been touched with 22938 Km. I have one 1992 with 6200 km rebuit once due to studs ripping one radiator apart, no problems since and she brought me home dry on anti frezze 10km. If i would of stopped her she would still be original. Then i have my other 1992. She has 8900 km on her but 3200km are all 640 ft runs and she has been apart often just for continous improvements. HA HA.

So you getting it rebuilt at the dealer now??

Mine would be just over 24000km on mine if it was converted, and never been farther than the spark plugs.

11,000 miles on my 97 an nothing to motor. One speedo bearing, One hand grip, two tracks, welded W bar about four times and finally replaced with new one, One rear shock on rear skid which I replaced with one from a viper. Otherwise motor has been good but one cylinder was down 15 from the others but sounds like I didn't check it right after reading a couple posts on here.

Back