vmax 4 st?

keverg

Hello All. I have been looking for a 96 or 97 vmax 4 long track(136) for a while. Were alll vmax of this make mountain sleds? Does anyone know where i can find one? thanks guys!

Although I've never actually seen a red Vmax4, I hear they exist. The 96 st was a 136" track. In 97 they changed the name of the long track Vmax4 to the Mountain Max 800. It also had the 136" track. They weren't much of a track though, 0.9" lug if I'm not mistaken. Great for speed and floatation but not much for boondocking or climbing. As for are there any for sale, you should give your location for more help.

Ian

I have a '97 ST sitting in the garage. The damn thing scares me to ride it. I bought it with 300 miles on her. Nice sled. I hear there were only 5 made.

Deadsled

I don't know about only 5 MM800s being made. I beleive there were only 49 or 50 97 vmax4s sold in Canada. Some people get confused about the 97 long track because they changed the name. It's not listed as a 97st. It's a Mountain Max 800. The serial # still starts with 8BT just like the previous 800st's. That led some people to beleive they didn't make any in 97. They do exist but the numbers are low.

Ian

Reimond said:
I beleive -96 ST has also "mountain max" sticker after 800 logo. Ike?
Right in '96-'97 they were called "mountain max".......not st's

'96 had the "MM" up by the "800" and '97 was down on the side panel.

Turbot
I don't know what the numbers for Sweden were. Yamaha has been reluctant to release world wide numbers for the Vmax4.
In Canada, there were 99 st's sold in 94, 99 st's sold in 95, and 75 st's or Mountain max's sold in 96. There were 0 97 Mountain max's sold in Canada. I'm not sure if these were actual sales numbers or just the amount delivered to dealers.

Ian

4with4 said:
Turbot
I don't know what the numbers for Sweden were. Yamaha has been reluctant to release world wide numbers for the Vmax4.
Man i wish they would, Argggg!!!!!!!! :cussing:

I bought mine out west and have ridden it everywhere. Every Yamaha dealer I've talked to has never seen one. Too bad it's turning into a dust collector!

deadsled said:
I bought mine out west and have ridden it everywhere. Every Yamaha dealer I've talked to has never seen one. Too bad it's turning into a dust collector!
My '97 has only 1,183 miles, it's like new all original clean!,i do not plan on
running it, the motor's getting a bath of fogging oil and detail job come
better weather(spring),covered up and rolled in the corner to stay..:)

Hey Keverg:

I have a 96 mountain max. I will tell you what I know about them. I hope some is helpful. Who ever mentioned in the thread that the 96's have the mountain max graphics you are right. Someone also mentioned they are red. Well mine is red i don't know if black was an option. The main difference between the 96 and 97 I have heard is the 97 has a completely different rear suspension. My 96 has a low travel suspension. I dont have the specs handy but I think it is like a whopping massive 6 inches of rear travel on the 96. The 97's have a first generation pro action (I think). The 97's are supposedly better for trail riding but lose a lot on the top end.

The 96 mmax is not a mountain machine at all by todays standards. It is also not a great trail machine because of the rear suspension. I have a newer 570 bearcat and i recently sold an 03 f7 and both machines were probably better in the steep and deep. The bearcat without question the f7 was close in the snow. The mmax does however have massive power. I think they are the most powerful stock snowmobile ever made by yamaha. 152.3 hp. The only machine in the area is the current 150 four stroke. They are not geared for mountain riding. They have too much top end. They are very heavy and don't have wide skis or much of a track(136 x .91). They are hard to modify for mountain riding as the tunnel can't accomodate a big lug track. (It can be done though and there are guys on this site that have accomplished it). They are very easily modified for drag racing. Very minor mods can get you massive hp and the longer track really assists in hole shots. All That being said I have to say My 96 mmax is awesome. It is one of the funnest machines I have owned. I love it. I have a cabin on a eleven mile long pond this machine is very fast and very fun. It is a very stable machine at high speeds. It has an awesome exhaust sound. It reminds me of a late 60's muscle car. It is very fast out of the hole. It is very good looking. It will run with an f7 out of the hole. It will take a diamond drive f7 top end although you need a lot of space. If you want an older vintage muscle sled it is by far better built, with better materials, than the other manufacturers offerings.

It is so much fun to come up along a 21 year old on an f7 on the lake when on the vmax four and the f7 rider is saying "I have never heard of that machine" "It looks cool" "Is is fast". Then I say you wanna see.

deadsled said:

I really hate to hear of your sled collecting so much dust..if you`d like, I`d be happy to take er out for a good spin to blow off that dust!!. :4fzfpi: LOL

yep i,ve got the 96 mountain max too how ever its very good in the mountains as it was built for it, got the elkholm 141 tunnel with 9 inch extraverts and of coarse the cadilac m10, i have no problem breaking trail at 140 km anhour in 2 feet of snow, have had comments about how smooth riding it is in the real rough going , and yes they are red how ever mines been custom painted, it is a head turnner , allways get comments about who builds that and how do u get one , so just smile and glad i can be apart of history.

I am posting pictures of my buddies Vmax 4 1992-1997 one for each year.:smilies-9

Attachments

• Darryl's Sled's 008.JPG
    Darryl's Sled's 008.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 127
  • Darryl's Sled's 007.JPG
    Darryl's Sled's 007.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 118

Back