Vmax 4 weight

Dan, I had my Turbo Vmax-4 down to 491 pounds "wet" with antifreeze and 1-gallon of fuel. I'd say without the heavy turbo system that you could "safely" get a Vmax-4 down to 450# "wet". It just depends how much you want to swiss cheese it and how far your willing to go on fabricating lightweight parts. I took 11.25# out of each strut can which saved 22.50# alone. My aluminum steering setup only weighs 2# with the bars included and saved around 8# over the heavy stock steering post and bars. Aluminum gears are also a nice way to go; I dropped 4 pounds of rotating mass in just my gears. Both aluminum gears only weighed in at 0.75# when I was done, which in rotating mass is equivelent to 28# of static weight. Lots can be done!

Update on this thread. I weighted my max last weekend. Of note this is an extented tunnel max with a 136 wahl suspension and 136 fully clipped and studded track. With fuel and coolant the sled came in at 438 lbs. Looks like I still have a bit of weight to carve off it this summer to get to my goal of having it as light as my last project being a 600 SRX. Here is what I'm going to try still. A Titanium jackshaft is coming. New light weight steering post and bar assembly and a completely new aluminum steering gate will be custom made. I have lightened the struts but may try replacing the actual section of strut tube with titanium. I also want to attempt to replace the steel track clips with titanium and will experiment with different chaincase and drive line ideas this summer on the chassis dyno. Looking to run either a 500 series motorcycle style chain and gear set or a custom built belt drive. Im trying to lose another 20 plus lbs to reach my goal. Let's see if it's possible!

Congrat Dan it' s a lightweight sled for a Vmax 4. For me I dont know the weight of my sled but at the next grass drag i go to just for pass on the scale. My goal for the moment are 435lbs for run on pro-stock class. The next ad I wish is the 2 shaft on titanium, light brake rotor, stering gate and post on aluminium and aluminium chaincase gear.

Dominic I tried the aluminum lower gears and had no luck with them on my SRX. I found them to wear very quickly and actually slowed me down!! I have a ti drive shaft already with a light weight drive shaft brake rotor. I would suggest you convert to this if possible.

Last edited:
WOW are you using light beer for fuel, Dan did you get to run her or dyno. Titanium is the way to go where you can,
You should start a thread in sled builds, how are things going over there with your othere project
Great job man keep up the cool work
G

OK Dan thank you for the input on gear. I look for machine to remouve weight. For the ti shaft I look for but it' s not easy to found. I probably make a set with my machine shop this summer. For the brake rotor I have a lightweight hub, just missing a light rotor or drill my 99 Phazer rotor for remouving max weight.

A couple new pics of the max. A few little things I have changed. Lol

7f6245cdc49a242ed4561674eefdabf5.jpg

b9159fe733ca5bc6eede098a5d5895ae.jpg

146e187f379c701bfe86c074de112946.jpg

These are the original Bender F-3 mods. I am working with a couple guys on custom high rpm mod race pipes right now. These Benders and our new pipes will be for sale after we complete all the Dyno testing and comparisons. Testing should be completed in early summer. We may even build a few sets of trail pipes for the max as well if there is enough interest in them.

That may be something we could try. Is it set up for 180 firing? I decided to go the 180 route after discussing it with a few dozen people!!

I have both system for 90* and 180*. The softwere are a little bit different but very easy to make change. It' s a plug and play system, you use all stock componement except the CDI.

Dominic if you want us to test the ignition system you will have to either send us a unit to prep a couple weeks before or meet us at the Dyno with the kit ready to help us install it there. I would really like to know what kind of power differences we can achieve.

Back