Vmax 4 weight

Probably going the end of May beginning of June. I'm doing a few more mods to the chassis and cylinders prior to going. Not quite happy with a couple things.

Dan both you and I where never built to pilot these sleds. LOL
I still love running them at back yard drags but at organized events it's time to find a driver.

A Hired Gun does help in Both..saves weight and give you more time to dial in the sled..You are able to see its performance visually and can make smarter changes etc.. The vamx 4 has so much weight that can be removed or altered..its takes time and how much cost is worth the weight savings..Rotating mass is the biggest..a Shaft save weight only but no rotating mass due to it small diameter..the track is the biggest. clutches, brakes, gears..carbon fiber clutch cover. arctic secondary. lite brake rotor, gears..Track new style thin belt, or a Rev magnesium chain case rotated to use smaller track but stay with longer chassis for balance..Rear suspension has to be cut down to the min for travel..smaller bearings,etc,etc lite weight shafts and bolts....Could it be made from chrome moly tubing?or titanium..saves weight can carry lube to the slides ..Same as the front tss can be cut down and some items changed for weight savings..Comes down to keep the sled where it can be seen easily at all times..keep a note pad close..have some beer handy and while you chat with friends etc..it amazing what comes up to save weight and more!! small plastic radiator or complete removal to cool down pump sled with quick disconnect..every fastener, bolt etc has to be looked at for length, and what it needs for strength plastic, aluminum, titanium..Elimination of all washers.use nyloc /washer combo..carbon fiber One piece hood/windshield and side panels..Good Luck and have fun!! Even the elimination of PAINT can save:)

I bet you can save another 20+ pounds in fasteners alone. Full titanium is the way to go if budget permits.

As far as weight goes, when I was at the world series this year I was truly blown away at how many race teams had tiny little girls piloting these hotrods.

Jamie congrates on your new team addition by the way!!!! Hope all is well.
i will be using some titanium and aluminum bolts to help with the weight lose but as you mentioned budget is the big concern with titanium. I'm going to concentrate on items like clutch face bolts and other rotating items first then continue as the budget allows.
Here is a little list of items already chosen to replace or modify for weight loss.
steering post assembly and bars will be replaced with a one piece unit. Aluminum or chromoly.
strut tubes replaced with custom short titanium tubes
new rear bumper
rear suspension shock
track clips
jackshaft
gears and chain
bolts and fasteners as the budget allows.

Has anyone here built a carbon fibre gauge pod/windsheild for these sleds? I will be looking to lighten it up a bit as well.

Any ideas to add to this list let me know. 400lbs is now the new goal!!!!

Turch up here at the radar runs the same trend seems to be happening. More and more teams are using young girls or kids to pilot there sleds. I am using a girl who has been running for a few years now but am always concerned about the liabilities should something go wrong and the driver gets hurt. I really wish we had higher minimum weight restrictions on most classes so an average 180-210 lb man cold still compete in this sport.

Jamie congrates on your new team addition by the way!!!! Hope all is well.
i will be using some titanium and aluminum bolts to help with the weight lose but as you mentioned budget is the big concern with titanium. I'm going to concentrate on items like clutch face bolts and other rotating items first then continue as the budget allows.
Here is a little list of items already chosen to replace or modify for weight loss.
steering post assembly and bars will be replaced with a one piece unit. Aluminum or chromoly.
strut tubes replaced with custom short titanium tubes
new rear bumper
rear suspension shock
track clips
jackshaft
gears and chain
bolts and fasteners as the budget allows.

Has anyone here built a carbon fibre gauge pod/windsheild for these sleds? I will be looking to lighten it up a bit as well.

Any ideas to add to this list let me know. 400lbs is now the new goal!!!!

Give Skinner a call, he can make anything, I saw on another web site where a guy had a carbon fiber tunnel and bulkhead$$$$

Last edited:
Already spoke with Skinner. He's really not interested in doing these. The carbon fibre chassis is awesome. I know a guy with one up here that runs the tar. Very very light!!!! Around 10 large for a basic tunnel and bulk head though it think.

Back