VMax 800 Drive Belt....HELP!

Maxmen

Guys,

2 times out this season with my 95 & 2 belts DESTROYED (They were old though).

The local Yammy dealer wants $193.44 (taxes in).....NO WAY!
FleaBay lists a couple in the $60 range.

What works, & what doesn't?

Thanks in advance.
Paul G.

I personally never had any luck with jobber belts they would explode in no time as for the OEM belts with a properly aligned motor never had any issues.

be wary there is one on ebay right now says it for the vmax-4 but if you look closely the part number is a 89L-17641-00. That is for a vmax 500 or 600 from 94-96. Avoid the goodyear belts for sure, they are terrible.

be wary there is one on ebay right now says it for the vmax-4 but if you look closely the part number is a 89L-17641-00. That is for a vmax 500 or 600 from 94-96. Avoid the goodyear belts for sure, they are terrible.

+1...they are hands down the worst...I had one on my vmax 4 when I first got it...measured it out, and it was`nt even close to correct....then mark the shark hooked me up with a couple non OEM belts, so one day I decided to compare them back to back..I found i liked the dayco max 11 the best..seamed to hook up much better then the others..and the goodyear was a joke...HORRIBLE performance..
the dayco part number is 144-5242...

Of course the 8bu is the prefferred belt...but next to it, I`d go with the dayco max 144-5242...
Actually, after comparing it back to back with a OEM 8bu belt..I`m not too sure that would`nt pick it first...probley would`nt last as long as a 8bu belt though..

all that said, I`d check the alignment and off set, and also inspect both clutches VERY closely, for any signs of damage that may be prematurely killing your belt/s..

AL P

i`ve had great luck with the dayco max 144-5242as well.got another one from the clearance bin at RD last year for $38.

i`ve had great luck with the dayco max 144-5242as well.got another one from the clearance bin at RD last year for $38.

Thanks, I'll drop by RD to see what they have in stock but, they don't list a belt for the 800 in the cat.?
They should though........as the owner proudly displays his 97 Vmax 800 in the showroom!!

I have a couple decent used ones make an offer
J,
Got your belt..........& the Bender strut guards (!) today, thanks for the deal, I didn't expect an 8BU... belt.
Thanks again.
Paul

BTW, I broke down & spent the $190+ on a new Yammy belt, it's proly still better value in the end than the aftermarket crap?!

I was always told to carefully break the oem belts in for the first 100 miles. Something about curing the glue and also to come onto them gently and warm them up before giving full throttle. Most of my belts failed when they were cold or severely overheated like mentioned by davidsicard.

The 8BU belt is the best.The Carlisle Ultimax3 or 4,belts I have never had any problems with,use belt 138-5232U3 or belt 138-5232U4.Old belts?Dont even keep them for a Vmax4.Well maybe a Bravo.Ditto,for clutch alignment and off set.
And yes Goodyear makes better tires,than Snowmobile belts.

Back