vmax feels like it's slipping/skipping

musiclover84

Well i went for my first ride on the vmax and i was a little disappointed. I gently press the throttle and when she starts to move it feels like something is slipping and grabbing, slipping and grabbing, when i get on the throttle more and start moving a little faster it seems to go away. She seems kinda slow on the bottom end until about 40 or 50 kph then she goes good. Also she doesn't seem as fast on the top end as I thought she would be, most I got out of her was 140 kph(according to speedo), and that was pretty much tapped out. My exciter will do that much so i'm sure she should be much faster. I'm thinking the problem might be with the clutch, I'll have to have a look tomorrow to see if i can't figure something out.
What i am wondering is whether something else could be causing said problems? Any advice and help will certainly be appreciated.
Thanks very much

As the others have said &

A) What does the drive belt look like?
Is it old chewed up, burned frayed edges or..??

B) What rpms is the clutch engaging at?

C) What rpms is the motor at when its "topped out"...top speed?

D) What rpms is it turning as you are picking up speed. Ie at 50, you are turning "X" RPMS, etc.

E) What gearing does it have?

F) Is it slipping in the chain case, chain tension should be considered too.

Much of what you descibe can come back to clutching. These sleds need to have the clutching done right & there are lots of previous post's here for you to read & fin info.

Do a ride & watch the rpms etc. & then post your results here.

Good luck, onec you get the ole girl dialed in, you will be very happy.

Rob

A million thanks to FastMax for helping me sort out the vmax, I can't wait to go for a ride soon to try her out. Also many thanks to those who responded with advice.
Clint

It seems that the drive belt was the main cause of the problem, it was within spec for the most part but it was wore width wise in a spot or 2. Thanks again to Fastmax for figuring that out. I haven't been for a ride yet as i have been working but I'm off tomorrow so I'll know for sure then if she's working alright. She was jetted on the rich side as well and we cleaned up the clutch sheaves and set up the secondary spring differently. I'm pretty sure that she will be working much better tomorrow.
Thanks Clint

Well i went out for a ride and she seems to be working better, although she backfired maybe a dozen times during my ride, which wasn't too bad considering it was about a 3 hour ride. She only backfired when I was idling along and i gave her a shot and backed off of it. Other than that she's working much better. The clutching is much better, clutch engages at about 3500 or so, and she revs to about 8300 or so when wound out. I had a hard time finding a good flat area to really try her. I have a new helix and primary spring on back order(should get them in a week or so I'm told), got a new secondary spring delivered today, so it'll be alright when i get all that on her. Also got Olav Aaen's carb tuning and clutch tuning books today, so I'll have to get into study mode and try and learn about tuning over the next little bit.

Thanks again, Clint

Back