what engine oil is best?

GEARHEAD

i placed a thread on general and figured this may be better, what is the best oil now for the 4? i used yamalube years back but maybe something better now?

I have always used yama-lube with no issue's but I also can't tell mself to spend the extra $$ on amsoil ( abit cheap)

I totally agree on the expense diff, i thought that just maybe someone out did the good old yamalube for about the same price that wont harm the engine.

I have been using "golden spectro snow" for many many years, in every sled I`ve owned including my vmax-4.....

It`s around $25 a gallon..

AL P

Only yamalube in this old girl, and the motor hasnt been broken down past the spark plugs ever before, and with over 15k, that says alot! Its also the only oil that has not cause running or fuel milage issues. Its more money, but cheaper than a new motor! I know we have used some other brands in the past in a pinch, and it never ended up well.

Yamaha did alot of research on what they wanted to use in their snowmobiles.So guess I`m a yamalube believer.You should never go wrong with what the manufacturer recommends.

There's really no "best",it all comes down to what works for you! and your sled,but to answer your Q Amsoil,Klots and others are good,i run Amsoil interceptor in everything for the extra detergent additives it has and excellent base stock for lubricity for cyl walls and bearings.

great oil..

Other then the synthetics, and semi synthetics etc..I would`nt doubt if their all the same oil, with differant color additives..LOL

If you ask a polaris guy whats the best oil..most likely he`ll say the polaris brand , ask an arctic cat guy, and guess what he`ll say, etc...lol

I just know that golden spectro has been making two cycle oil since before 1967, and it meets, or exceeds all "OEM baseline oils"....
good enough for me..

I got a friend of mine, that literaly runs just about anything he can get his hands on, the cheapest crap you can imagine, found at a local gas station, or auto parts store..he has never had a problem that I know of..
that`s not to say I`d run the stuff though..LOL

But there not all the same is the thing,,cheaper oils have cheaper base stocks with LESS additives and quality additives,there IS a difference.

when it come to lubricants you get what you pay for i could post a VOA(virgin oil analyses)on yamalube and if you knew what you were looking at you wouldn't be to impressed to say the least. leaving it at that...

Last edited:
I've been using Amsoil in my 73 stock, and 75 piped RD350's. It is an oil with a pleasant aroma, but what do I know by the smell?? The only thing is I can barley see the almost clear oil on the dipstick of the oil tank. Even so,, I'm going to switch all my Vmax-4's to Amsoil. Besides,, I wonder how long Yamaha will make two stroke oil when they are full steam ahead with four stroke engines??:frech32:

ive run supertech from walmart in all my mod sleds and when i tear um down they loook like brand new inside the stuff works great and its cheap neverhad any problems

I overlooked this, quite interesting.
But there not all the same is the thing,,cheaper oils have cheaper base stocks with LESS additives and quality additives,there IS a difference.

when it come to lubricants you get what you pay for i could post a VOA(virgin oil analyses)on yamalube and if you knew what you were looking at you wouldn't be to impressed to say the least. leaving it at that...

lol wtf my engine is now on 22000km and always whit castrol injection oil at 18$ a gallon and my engine is in very good shape!!!

ive run supertech from walmart in all my mod sleds and when i tear um down they loook like brand new inside the stuff works great and its cheap neverhad any problems

but..I can`t help but wonder how often you tear the motors down, and why do you tear them down in the first place if they always look like brand new on the inside???

please don`t take this as any kind of bash..just wondering?

thanks..

AL P

lol wtf my engine is now on 22000km and my engine is in very good shape!!!
So you have a Cristal ball can see inside??

so 13,670 miles huh?

how's your piston skirts? hows rings? have any blow by? i guarantee you have tolerance issues and performance/efficacy is down running that oil all this time vs a better lubricity based synthetic oil,one don't notice it over time because it happens gradual. Your NOT in good shape,you just don't realize it.

time for rings.....

Last edited:

Back