What Track, and why is it overheating?

diggerzmound

i am getting geared up to get my sled ready for this season and I have a couple issues.

First of all, the thing needs a new track, It has the M-10 suspension. What should I run for a track, I am using the sled for trails and tearing around the country. I will probably be crossing hiways and riding on packed streets as well. I am not sure I should run studs where I ride it around town when the snow is real bad. What do you guys recommend? Around here the snow usually isn't feet deep..

The last time I ran the sled last year it got hot. The heat light came on and I stopped and blanketed the radiator in snow and gave it 15 minutes to cool. It appears to have puked some of the coolant out. The first thing I will do is check compression and then the head gasket. Are there any other things I should check?

Another quick observation... has anyone else ever noticed the striking resemblance between the jugs on these engines and those on the Yamaha Banshee? My summer hobby is atv's and I noticed my banshee has very similar looking cylinders, I am curious if anyone has put them side by side..

banshee cylinders -
290432751_tp.jpg

I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT TRACK FOR YOU TO USE WITH THAT M-10. M-10 ,s AND VMAX 4,s GO TOGETHER LIKE OIL AND WATER IF YA ASK ME. CHECK YOUR THERMOSTAT FOR YOUR OVER HEATING ISSUES. 3:16 (yammie tony)

Your heat exchangers have to have a constant flow of snow on them to keep the engine cool. If you're running in marginal snow conditions, especially at the end of the season, you might not get enough cooling action. The only times I can remember my sled overheating is running on packed roads for an extended period, and a couple of times in ice storms. The ice crust on the trail prevented the snow from getting to the heat exchangers. If you overheated and burped, I would bleed the system and check for air bubbles. The procedure is outlined in the service manual. There's a bleeder on the water pump, and a couple under the back of the seat behind the trunk. Tony is right, check your thermostat. I've had my sled for so long I can't remember, but I think I took the thermostat out years ago.

Shark

Last edited:
I run a Kimpex Aggressor 1.2" on my 94 vmax trail sled with am M-10.It is an awesome settup,never had any cooling issues or any clearance troubles.It'll yank your arms off if your clutched correctly.What are ya thinking about doing with those banshee jugs?If your gonna take your heads off, why dont you go all the way and take off cyls for a nice re-ring job .Then when you have them off, put one of those banshee jugs right next to it, and post a picture of them here for me to see if you could please.I want to compare cylinder to crankcase bolt hole spacing between the two.I know that RZ350 and banshee are similar and was thinking of........Thanks Steve C

The Predator 9837 (1", 6-pitch, fully clipped) is a good track.

I'm not sure on the clearance with the M-10 but with the stock suspension you are pretty much limited to a 1" track unless you cut the lugs for the heat exchangers.

Here's the 9837 on my 92 with extrovert drivers.

Attachments

• 17NOV08 VMAX-4 017.jpg
    17NOV08 VMAX-4 017.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 57

Back