White Tabs-----Watch out!!

Carllaponte

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sure the regulars are tired af hearing about this. I'm going to post even though it has been covered several times. I started working on my 95 yesterday--Pulled carbs to clean before taking out, and also wanted to check air box white tabs. Well look what I found. Alll I have to say is this is second Vmax-4 I picked up this year. Both had a broken tab in the reed cage!!! Make sure everyone checks this!

Attachments

• Broken White Tab.jpg
    Broken White Tab.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 229
  • Air Box 2-13.jpg
    Air Box 2-13.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 228

I check mine every year and they seem so strong it's hard for me to believe that they break off. I think I will take mine out just in case. Thanks for the post

Yes it's been gone over. I first learned and spoke of them here.

http://www.vmax4.com/vbulletin/show...ossible-answers&highlight=white+tabs+blown+up

But I think they were brought up long before I joined this cult.

It is such a major issue though that every time an example is found like Carl just did it doesn't hurt to let it be known. New guys that are joining need to know and a resurection can't hurt anyone. It may save a 4 from an early death and at worse be a reminder.

Nice save Carl.

opsled

Took mine out half an hour after I read Carl's post. I never liked them in there anyway, I push the boots onto the carbs threw the air box and those just made it harder to do. If only those air boxes didn't have so many screws I'd be laughing!

So I just picked up a 96 Vmax4 this afternoon and I’m scared to even start it after reading this white tab nightmare. Do I remove the entire white tube or just clip the tab ends? Sorry if this sounds dumb but I’m new to the Vmax4 family
thanks for any advice

I just remove the tabs and leave the tube. Others take the whole thing out. I don't know if it matters.

Thanks for the reply OPSled! By the way, love your collection! I’m so excited to finally have one too! I’ll post pics of mine once she’s had a once over

Sorry if this sounds dumb but I?m new to the Vmax4 family
thanks for any advice

Like Carl said, he's going to post this even though he knows it's been gone over many times. There are several members who have ruined their engines over this problem so it's very important.

The only dumb question is the one that isn't asked, and in this case, especially if you smoke your engine over a little piece of plastic. Ask away!

You can also use the search box at the top right of the forum pages to search for a specific topic. Or you can just start reading all of the posts and see what you can discover. Kinda like me when I go to Menard's because I need one thing and end up wandering around looking at stuff for 2 hours. :2dontknow

Shark

Totally agree with you Shark! There will always be something that can be learned from others experience here and hopefully keep these special pieces of Yamaha history alive and well to keep hunting Cats (arctic)

Back