Who knew there was needle bearings in the T.S.S. Scissors?!

dillonwegner

Had the skis off to polish them up today&ended up taking the front scissors off to oil em up since they havent been done. so i tore them apart completely to find they are lined with needle bearings.. a nice surprise :)

just curious who all knew about em?
IMAG0078.jpg
IMAG0078.jpgIMAG0078.jpg

it`s fairly common knowledge on this site, but I`m sure there`s a few that does`nt know about them...it is pretty cool though ain`t it...

good move cleaning/lubing them up, as their FAR from cheap to replace!

here`s a mod you may want to consider...

http://www.vmax4.com/vbulletin/blog.php
AL P

Al P,

oh cool, yeah. well my dad has had a vmax4 for 10 some years and he never knew lol so i was just curious.

yeah i want this bad boy to last for ever :)

thanks for the suggestion, but for now were gonna just plan to dissasemble and oil them up each season.

Were using marvel mystery oil rather than grease, should do the trick!

But anyone that has gone through with the grease zerk mod, any feedback would be appreciated

Thanks , Dillon

I think the Vmax-4 was the only sled with the bearings in the scissors. I remember they were pretty expensive to replace the last time I did mine.

Shark

okay, yeah i have an 83 srv&im curious to see if they have needles in them too..
im guessing not though, the scissors arent near as beefy looking as the vmax4's scissor.
maybe ill have time to check tomarro.

oh, yeah i would imagine shark.. hey just out of curiosity, would you happen to remember what the new needle bearing setup cost you? like a rough idea?
thanks i appreciate your input shark. : )

Dillon

My Phazer and Exciter don't have the bearings, just bushings.

dillinwegner - I might have saved a receipt, but don't have time to look for it right now. This will give you an idea: http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/default.aspx
I've read on several snowmobile websites that these guys have some of the lowest prices on Yamaha stuff on the net. The bearings for my '93 are $17.40 apiece and you need 12 of them to do the whole sled.

Poop, the link I gave you only goes to their main parts search. Put in the info on your sled. It will default to the air cleaner. Towards the upper right, click the dropdown menu and search for ski. You're looking for part number 33.

Shark

All 4's and ONLY 4's have the needle bearings. As shark posted, they are not cheap. If you need bearings you will likely need the sleeves they ride on and spacer washers (more $). When they get real neglected the bolts will freeze into the sleeves requiring some inginuity to get them out without wreaking the aluminum knuckles. Many times the bolt must be sacrificed to accomplish this job. Maintenence is free. Total parts needed for a complete rebuild of the steering koints can be close to the $300 mark and it is a real bastard of a job when everything is seized up.

When I built my 92 I bought a complete parts sled just because it had good knuckles.

opsled

Thanks mjdevries, if i ever have to replace the bearings id go with what you recommended, great price.

thanks for your input!

Dillon

I also bought 10 of them trough ebay. VBX HK1414UU 6,95$ each. free int. shipping.
i also bought 2 pieces oem just to compare. bought trough hauck along with some other stuff. almost 18$ each.

bearings difference.

I took a couple of pictures. I also found out that oem. bearing don't seal properly on the sealing. U can see in the picture, the bearings behind the sealing. on the vxb bearing it seals nice and tight. there is also less play on the vxb, when U tilt bearing on axle. so if vxb is good quality it should work great.

There is no grease on vxb bearing. I orderd 1414UU. I think it comes with grease if U order LUU. But i'm not sure.

Attachments

• vmax 003.jpg
    vmax 003.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 132
  • vmax 005.jpg
    vmax 005.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 128
  • vmax 006.jpg
    vmax 006.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 129
  • vmax 004.jpg
    vmax 004.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
awesome, thanks for the post dennis! when i replace my T.S.S. bearings im gonna give the vxbs a try they seem like the real deal.

eh no big deal if they dont come greased, just packem yourself:)
thanks again for the insight

Dillon

Yeah I`m in need also..and have been since about 2005..been neglecting replacing one (maybe more now) due to the high cost of them...sure glad this post came alive!!

I do remember it being posted before about a good deal on them..I think it was MJ then also..but had forgot about it..

anyway..cool!!

AL P

the bearings for the rear shocks will also work and i think they were a little cheaper but that was a few years back

Back