WTB Clutch Tool

racerrob

Looking for a clutch alignment tool.

Seems hard to find for this vintage Vmax???

Any thoughts-ideas-etc. :2dontknow

Need one with all the rework I will be doing to the Max.

Thx for any input, Rob

Rob, Hey....I just bought one from Denis kirk for 39.99 part#28-692. It kinda generic, but it has the 16mm offset we need for the Vmax clutch. The center to center tool was about 60mm to short to work on our clutches. Being that we don't come off the crank. I found a metal ruler with both Inches and mm and the measured the tool and taped the ruler on it to gain the extra lenth to get to 365mm (the tool is only 300mm). worked great. take a look, it should do the trick for about 1/2 the cost of going to the dealer.

If you know someone that has access to a metal or machine shop you should be able to make a complete set for cheap.

3ft....I just bought the same one....works well, but the center to center tool is too short.

3ft said:
Rob, Hey....I just bought one from Denis kirk for 39.99 part#28-692. It kinda generic, but it has the 16mm offset we need for the Vmax clutch. The center to center tool was about 60mm to short to work on our clutches. Being that we don't come off the crank. I found a metal ruler with both Inches and mm and the measured the tool and taped the ruler on it to gain the extra lenth to get to 365mm (the tool is only 300mm). worked great. take a look, it should do the trick for about 1/2 the cost of going to the dealer.

Hey Vmax4rules,
Maybe I am being dumb here but kind of thought of that, but where would I get the correct dimensions/design etc to have this thing built to??

I have access to a nice cnc shop, but need to be able to communicate exactly what I need & without it in a drawing/hand sketch with dimensions, I am at a bit of a loss. ... any ideas or sketch's on a tech page I have not found??

Is the 16mm offset the "magic number" & the thing just needs to be long enough to go from the main clutch to the secondary with the 16mm off set??
Plus I know I want a good "straight edge" to align everything to sooo.

And then the centerline distance is measured from center of main clutch shaft to center of secondary clutch shaft which is supposed to be 365mm OAL centerline to centerline??
Am I missing something in thinking this through or am I on the right track here??:2dontknow

Obviuosly, never had a clutch alignment tool before & never messed with this part of my previous sleds in the past beyond some clutch wieghts & springs. So, guess I gonna be the stupid guy here huh?? But after reading how important this part is, wanna get it done right when I reassemble everything.

Okay, sign me no. 1 dummy!!!

For the center to center gauge you just need a piece of square stock around 15" long,
drill a hole in one end for a centering bolt & set screw and scribe a line at 14.35" or 365 mm

For the offset guage you need 2 pieces of square stock that will be sandwiched together with
a total length of around 18" and an offset of .63" or 16 mm

Hope this helps!

I can get some pics later tonight if that will help,
the primary and secondary retaining bolts have a dimple that is used to help you locate dead center.
The centering bolt on the center to center gauge is used to adjust the gauge to be square on both clutch's.

Back