Yamaha SRX/ Mountain Max info HELP...

Tyler

I want to buy a SRX or at least i think. I want to know what is the better sled in the 2000 era SRX,SXR,SX Mountain MAX??? Red head, blue head? What do i need to know to help with decision makeing? Hp info would be nice to know. I want to buy one right away. Any info will be a big help.

Thanks, Tyler

Depends on what you want to do with the sled really... and this is just my opinion... I don't want to start any arguements lol... (remember opinions are like a$$holes... everybody's got one lol ) a mountain max is a long deep lug track, geared low for deep snow and hill climbs, not really designed for top speed lake running, more for pulling up the skii's and playing in the deep stuff..but still a force to be recon with on the trail and a super comfy ride due to the long track...but if your looking to go with a fast and lake run/race then the SX-R Blue head would be the choice i would think... Again.... just my opinion. The red heads are a great strong motor and can be tweaked nicely... only issues i've head about is watch out for the waterpump.. the gear that runs the waterpump and oil pump off the crankshaft is pressed on to the crank and has been known to slip.. requiring the crank to be removed and the gear pinned to it.. 3 cases of it that I know of here in sudbury and im not sure if the blue's share the same crank or not.. i believe after 2001 they came pinned from the factory maybe somebody can confirm this for me?) The blue heads have the power valves and typically make more HP out of the box. I think reds were in the 115-120 HP range and the blue's 130ish. If you find a MMax and your not intrested let me know i might be..

Thats my 2 cents worth.. take it or leave it lol,
Have a good one, keep'er rubber side down!

Last edited:
I love my 2000 sxr 700, its the non-power valve motor red head. It took an 2010 Nytro 1000 (pipe & intake)to 109 mph before it went by me,my speedo only read 95 but I had to be goining at least 102-5 as it pulled past not zoomed past. Its plenty fast for me and trail riding if I weregonna be lake raceing Id go SRX and look up Tonys clutch work. Mine has mild clutching stock pipe and just turned 3000 miles and is also decent on fuel. We went about 370 milesand i think i went through 20-25 gallons total of course we stop n top at most towns so 4-6 gal per stop.

I have a 2000 SRX which i put 13000 miles on mostly by riding it on long tours through Quebec. Riding that sled puts a smile on my face everytime. For me it is the right combination of handling and power, it is not nearly as comfortable with the suspension and riding position of something like a new Apex. I love the sled, 12th riding season was just completed this year. It is an easy sled to maintain, OEM parts are still available and there is a large market of used parts. I like my original 2000 SRX so much I bought another one and I am building a spare engine from used parts. There is LOTS of information over on the Totalyyamaha website, there is a forum dedicated to the SRX and Viper.

Back