YAMMI TONY CLUTCH/GEAR QUESTION

ALLSEASONRIDER

My '96 800 seems like it has lots of legs for lake/field runs but I feel like I need more low end response on the trails (between 15 and 45mph). Out of the hole it's a little poochy, then comes on like a rocket after I get rolling @ 20mph.

The carbs are clean and I believe this is in the gearing/clutching. Somewhere in the garage I have written down what gears are in the box so I will have to add that later this weekend. I believe it is stock but will verify that later. The guy that had it previous to me did a lot of lake racing (with much success according to him). I was spoiled on throttle response with the SXR w/Vforce reeds. That thing was a blast on the trail.

I'm sure it's been posted before but what gear/clutch setup should I be running for crisp throttle response on the trails?

I don't do a lot of long wide open runs, mostly trail riding with short bursts of the V4 power (skiis in the air and all!).

My bud just bought an RX-1 so I will need to be ready to keep up ya know! :2fingersc
Thoughts Tony/anyone?

Thanks,
Scott

22-39 gearing to low for lake running. 140 mains seem a bit to lean isn't it for wide open runs for long distances.

Thanks for the responses guys. Jetting is stock and the secondary spring is in the 3 spot on the stock helix. I still need to figure out my present gearing..

Attachments

• IMG-20111230-00358[1].jpg
    IMG-20111230-00358[1].jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 428
  • secondary spring.jpg
    secondary spring.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 427
  • primary spring.jpg
    primary spring.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 427
Make sure your belt deflection is set correctly. Your belt should be above the top of your secondary clutch about an 1/8 of an inch. This is crirical to holeshots. Make sure the belt is not worn too much and also check your center to center distance. All of these things go hand in hand for a good low end launches.

Thanks Kahunas, belt is pretty close to 1/8" above clutch.

Can't find any colors on the black clutch springs...sled engages very low at 3200-3300. I would think more like 4000 would be better for both the occasional lake ice drag and agressive trail riding?

If I went to the www spring, am I good with the current cover or do I need to get a taller one?

I believe my '96 should have come with the tall cover stock, correct?

Thanks again for all the help guys. BONUS IS IT'S STARTING TO SNOW OUT!!!

Last edited:
I have used tall springs in a short cover clutch(750), 800 clutches are supposed to have no issues using tall springs.

45 would be the start load of the spring at a certain compressed length. Basically your clutch engagement number. The other number is the finish load when the clutch is at full shift. This would be where if you need more RPM's, use a higher finish load spring. If you are over revving, use a lighter finish load, or add more weight.

How many guys are running these at that high engagement? That seems like a bunch for my needs.

Mine launches in the low 4000's and works well for me on the trails, I did try a Hauck orange once and the nearly 5000 plus engagement was quite harsh.

Looks like Kahunas answered the other question.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Kahunas and Rules for the info.

If I change to the www spring will that be enough to raise my engagement to something similar to what you have Rules?

w/w/w spring with no shims is around 4500 engagement, i'm running that spring and 2 or 3 shims and i'm around 5200 for engagement, i think you want to be around the 4800-5000 with that spring.. Tony said try to keep it around 5000 with his set-up..

w/w/w spring with no shims is around 4500 engagement, i'm running that spring and 2 or 3 shims and i'm around 5200 for engagement, i think you want to be around the 4800-5000 with that spring.. Tony said try to keep it around 5000 with his set-up..

What size are your shims? I see there are many available 4mm, 5mm 8mm etc

USually 1 shim will bump the engagement up 100 rpm. Just try it without any shims and see what your enguagment is and go from there

Back