Bogging after what felt like ratchet..

diggerzmound

I had the max out yesterday and it ran great until i felt what i figured was ratchet. It wasn't loud and it didn't really shake the machine it just felt like very mild, really quiet spline slip. After it did this, it ran like crap. The engine just bogs and if you feather the throttle it tries to scream but won't. If I life the sled off the ground it will rev to the moon. Now every time I try to give it gas under load I get the "slipping" and bogging. With a load it acts like someone has the choke on.. Tis is the first time I have felt the "slip" and had running issues.

Any ideas or places to start? I'd like to have this damn thing going next week for our skiing trip.

Thanks!

I had the max out yesterday and it ran great until i felt what i figured was ratchet. It wasn't loud and it didn't really shake the machine it just felt like very mild, really quiet spline slip. After it did this, it ran like crap. The engine just bogs and if you feather the throttle it tries to scream but won't. If I life the sled off the ground it will rev to the moon. Now every time I try to give it gas under load I get the "slipping" and bogging. With a load it acts like someone has the choke on.. Tis is the first time I have felt the "slip" and had running issues.

Any ideas or places to start? I'd like to have this damn thing going next week for our skiing trip.

Thanks!

What sled are you running,any mods?

When it last ran right, where you on a WOT run?

The belt don't look bad, the clutch is a comet. I should go measure it.

Its a 750 with quads, I believe they are Benders... The last time I ran the sled I had no troubles, and have changed nothing since. Cylinders have been decked, and its ported.

The problem started when I was turning around, had 2 people on and hammered it 1/2 way in the corner..

http://www.vmax4.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?6873-Got-It-out!

You can see the clutch and belt setup I have in that thread, I am not sure..

Could this be a worn belt catching in my clutch?

"Its a 750 with quads, I believe they are Benders... The last time I ran the sled I had no troubles, and have changed nothing since. Cylinders have been decked, and its ported."

When this work was done, where the cranks welded?

The crank was indexed and welded 3 years ago. I bought the sled off the guy after he had the work done.

I ran it some last year without troubles, except for heating, but I think it was a lack of snow issue more than anything. I've put a couple hours on it this year without problems.

Last edited:
might wanna look over the suspension, and track area real good...
check the wheels to be sure none are siezed up..and be sure that when you set the sled down. nothing is binding etc?

And, all four cylinders are firing good right? have you pulled the plugs and checked them?

Have you checked the darn little white tabs in the air box? Could have one of those snapped off and standing up blocking air flow to one carb.

Yes, thanks to you guys I broke them off shortly after I got the sled.

I have not pulled the plugs, if I lift the weight off the sled it will free rev just fine. With me on the sled, it won't go. It almost feels like something is binding and holding the motor back. I'm gonna grab some plugs and swap the belt.

Back