Carb Bog ?

vollender

I just put on a set of aaen pipes. I was unable to test and for that I was to rich at my last race. I was only 1050 degrees. 1995 vmax 4 800 136 track bone stock

I was haveing a problem with the start, It would bog real bad then take off. Was not sure if this was from main jets to rich or if I should go to bigger pilot jets I have 50 now.

Could I have done any bog tunning with the needle jet. Could I have lowered the clip to raise needle and make it more rich for launch.

I am hopfully testing in 2 weeks and just thinking a head of things to try.

I have never messed with the needles on the 800 carbs. Can they be adjusted with carbs mounted.

Can anyone give a discription of removal neddle jets.

I made it to the semi finals and had the worst bog of the night and gave the race away, we ran fender to knows and he pulled me in the last 3 feet.

Thanks Ray

Ray, the needles CAN be adjusted on the sled. It sucks until you get the hang of it, but you will get better at it after you do it couple of times. I believe it is a 2.5mm allen. It will help to have ball end allen wrenches. DON'T DROP ANYTHING!!!

Ray, Make sure you check your belt deflection. I have run into this with several different sleds (low end bog) where they are making carb adjustments to a sled thats starting out in third gear. Not saying that is your problem but give it a look

What do you mean by belt deflection. Also this problem did not start untill I put on the aaen pipes. The first race with stock pipes it was fine.

I did get jet needle out and found out all this time the clip was all the way up so it was full rich. I moved needle to the second from bottom cant wait to test.

Dude with all do respect this what I mean by if its not broke don't fix it..
I should be getting paid for all this info...
Pull ya carbs off..
Install Q-8 nozzles..
Use 800 neddles if ya don't have them already..
750's would be ok but ya have to use the 2nd to last clip on the bottom to raise them..
And the Q-8 nozzles are avaiable from Yamaha..
Too much work for just a bracket sled..

Next time just build another sled,,

Dude with all do respect this what I mean by if its not broke don't fix it..
I should be getting paid for all this info...
Pull ya carbs off..
Install Q-8 nozzles..
Use 800 neddles if ya don't have them already..
750's would be ok but ya have to use the 2nd to last clip on the bottom to raise them..
And the Q-8 nozzles are avaiable from Yamaha..
Too much work for just a bracket sled..

Next time just build another sled,,

Damn!

Sorry but I've been around long enough...Seen great running sleds and then with over testing or over thinking about stuff go to crap...Been with a realy great grass drag team in the past and spent many-many hours testing and went right back to where we started..

Sorry vollender don't mean to be so harsh...

I can see why people would not want to post any more. I drag race for fun and a stress reliver. It has been very nice to have a place to go and ask questions, but when you keep getting bashed the fun goes away. Inline4 you were the biggest help to me last year. I could see if I was racing aginst you you would not want to give advice, but I am not.

So with that said I will keep my questions to my self and go out and have FUN.

Lets not start this again! He said sorry, and I am to starting to build an asphalt racer, sometimes people might be having a bad day. This is the internet so take everything with a grain of salt.
Vollender I enjoy reading about your racing and would like to continue and maybe share thoughts on it. So relax and lets all get along.

Yea dude I do appoligize...It's just a case of constructive critzim..( if I spelt that right, lol )..
Now anyway back to business..
Q-8 Nozzles...The part # is somewhere list here I forgot it..But it is off a 1997 700SX..There is one cylinder that is rich..I think it's # 3..That has the Q-8..
Go 1/2 turn richer on the fuel screws for now..That should put you on the edge of that bog..Then once that Q-8 kicks in you should be fine..
As far as sharring info we all are on the same team here..Even if we were going up against each other I would still help ya..
Nobody outside here likes V-max4's..they are too much for the average tuner or person could handle..

Lets move on. I went and tested last pass I had 132.5 mains 55 pilots 3 turns on idle screw 2nd from bottom on clip 1095 egt. 75 degrees

Bet pass 11.2 113 mph all time best. Still ad a little bog got worse last pass real dark and cooler.

Tride many secondary options 60 to 110 twist. 100 twist was best.

tried hauck blue spring and was to much launched bad and did not rpm up.

I have a w-s-w and by its self it did not work. I have a cut up spring and put top of spring in to pre load spring works great it also has stock weights with steel rivet.

I am ordering the q-8 nozzles tomarrow.

would a hotter plug help bog or would you go colder.

I know dont mess with it but I am so close to the 10s I would love to see a 10.99.

Is there any thing else to try besides the q-8 nozzles wont have in time.

Is this bog problem a product of the aaen pipes on the stock pipes I never had this bog problem.

I do appreciate all the info this is my only sound board to get help.

Thanks Ray

Last edited:
Ray..You have to wait for the Q-8's...They do make a big difference..I drove myself nuts along time ago before i figured out the Q-8 nozzles..Don't know if you read vmax535's post but it's amazing what they do...Keep the updates comming..

Ray- what are your 60 foot times?
If you feed the beast more fuel, that bog will be gone and the 60 footers will drop. The first 60 feet is where it's at. You should make the 10's pretty easy.

BTW- Do you like how it sounds?
What were your 1/4 mile times before and after the pipes? Did you change your gearing for the extra RPM's from the pipes?

I guess-ta-mate you will run @ 10.60 -10.80 after you get that bog out..You might have to put another 2 grams or so on your weight tips for the extra power after the bog is gone..Just watch your tach also ya first run..You will over rev..

Back