chaincase gasket

rustman

Just thought id shoot along a pic of my handmade chaincase gasket. Not a bad job for my first try, and what it lacks in looks it makes up for in function. No leaks!

-Rustman

Attachments

• 100_1542.jpg
    100_1542.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 66

Who cares what it looks like, you're never going to see it. What's important is that it doesn't leak, and you can probably make 20 of them for the cost of a new one.:eek: Looks to me like you did a good job with it.

Shark

Who cares what it looks like, you're never going to see it. What's important is that it doesn't leak, and you can probably make 20 of them for the cost of a new one.:eek: Looks to me like you did a good job with it.

Shark

New one is $11.18 Rustman I think we need a tech on how you made it. what material etc....... Might want to wait till after Xmas though.... I heard that Santa had all of you on the nice list.

Canadian dealers have whacked prices, they wanted $31 plus tax. I almost cried, hence the fab of my own. I will post a little more technical info later today. Had a staff party last night and the morning after leaves the head a little fuzzy.

-Rustman

Alright, gonna do my best to explain how I made this thing. First off was to source the material, I used 1/32" gasket material. Forgive my ignorance but the name of the material is unbeknownst to me. I just tried to match the original look and feel of the gasket. I knew the cork stuff wasn't right so I used gray cardboard like stuff. When I found it I then set my case cover on top of the material and traced out the basic shape. Using good sharp scissors I cut this shape out. After this I taped what I had cut out with masking tape to the cover. Masking tape seemed like a good choice, maybe not as sticky as some others but that was why I picked it. The last thing I wanted was to cut the whole thing out and rip it when untaping. After taping the rough gasket securely to the chain case I used a pair of scissors again to trim the excess material from the inside of the gasket. This step is the trickiest, I got my g/f who has small hands to do this. Once it was trimmed up enough I used a punch to "find" the bolt holes. I just made very small holes in the center of each bolt hole. After exposing all bolt holes I untaped my gasket and removed it from the case cover. Using drill bits by hand I reamed the holes a little bigger, big enough for the bolts to fit through. This part was also a little tricky, trying not to tear the gasket. In retrospect I should have taped the cut out gasket to a piece of stock and used a drill press to make the holes. I found turning the drill bits backwards helped to not rip the material. The last thing I did was trim the "tabs" off. You can see them in my picture. The tabs weren't needed as they were covering the holes in the back of the case where it bolts to the frame. Not too bad really, about an hours work at the most. I would bet that I could make one in 15 minutes now. On a side note and you can take this for what it's worth, my buddy told me that in a pinch a piece of compressed cardboard will make an excellent low pressure gasket. Everyone should have some of this laying around, cereal boxes are the best source I can think of. I am serious, he's a professional mechanic and an extremely smart guy.

I am by no means an expert but this worked perfectly for me!

-Rustman

i had made an earyler inquiry on finding a reusable ruber gasket for the chaincase and one reply i had was to use( greese only) for a gasket and they said it works well, i have yet to try it and im wondering if anyone else knows or has tryed it an how it works? thanks

Can`t speak for the chaincase on a vmax4, but i know a few guys that use grease on various motorcycle engine gaskets...they`ve pulled things back apart, and the gasket seamed ok..

on a side note...looks like a got a slight leak on the 96`es chaincase...gonna have to do something about that sooner or later..not real bad..so I`ll probley just add a shot of oil now and then for this winter..but defianly gonna be fixing that before next year..

AL P

one reply i had was to use( greese only) for a gasket and they said it works well,

Just want to clarify what your saying because I think I remember that post. I think it was Yammigod 3:16 and he said to use grease on the gasket not grease only as a gasket. If you use grease on the gasket it is much less likely to stick to the case and tear so you are able to reuse it.
If I've misquoted someone correct me. Tom

Al, did you ever find that chaincase leak. I thought my handmade gasket had failed me only to take everything apart and find a leaky seal on the back of the chaincase.

There you go Kenneth, a dollar saved is a dollar earned!
l used to find the covers from my school exercise books where the best! l avoid card that has a glossy side as that doesn't work as well.

You may want to try this, in this 'case' pin the card to the casing with the bolts and work your way round the inside ( cut away most of the inside and outside first with scissors) and outside with the rounded end of a small ball peen / planishing hammer. Tap at a 45% angle to the case very gently, all you will do is crush the card, the cases wont be marked and you will have a fast `factory` fit.

Last edited:
Yeah it appears to be comming from the gasket area towards the front..
the previous owner had the cover off a few times trying out differant gears..so he probley just used some silicon on the old gasket to seal it instead of getting a new gasket each time..that`s what it looks like anyway..

i kind of did that hammer theory only i tapped the gasket on and just used my fingers to push the gasket down at a 45* angle, hammer would probably leave more of a imprint but mine did work as well!!

Back