Foam

new maxer

Is the foam on the inside of the front panels and hood just for noise reduction or do they serve as insulation? The foam on my sled, 92 Vmax4 isn't the best and was wondering if I could remove it. I thought about replacing it with reflective foil. Any suggestions?

l think you will find that they are for both sound and heat insulation, the foil covered areas are manily where the pipes go. Personal, i would replace the foil, at least, as there is big heat from those pipes.

These are pics from a stock 93

Attachments

• from a stock 93 001.jpg
    from a stock 93 001.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 79
  • from a stock 93 002.jpg
    from a stock 93 002.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 70
  • from a stock 93 003.jpg
    from a stock 93 003.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Yes, the foam is mostly for noise reduction, I don't know about heat insulation though....You could remove it if you wanted to, I wouldn't remove the foam with the foil on it, as that does help keep the heat away from certain things.

foam

Anyone know where to get reflective insulation? I have reflective tape but would rather use larger pieces. I think Yamaha still sells the replacement foam and reflective pieces. I have friends that own several older Yamaha's, but not any 4's and they seem to be cold blooded. Would removing the insulating pieces affect operating temps? Do the 4's traditionally run warm or cold? I haven't removed any reflective pieces yet but have removed the foam as they were in pretty bad shape.

Anyone know where to get reflective insulation? I have reflective tape but would rather use larger pieces. I think Yamaha still sells the replacement foam and reflective pieces. I have friends that own several older Yamaha's, but not any 4's and they seem to be cold blooded. Would removing the insulating pieces affect operating temps? Do the 4's traditionally run warm or cold? I haven't removed any reflective pieces yet but have removed the foam as they were in pretty bad shape.

With a stock sled, I really dont think you would need to replace the foam with reflective tape or anything. The only thing you may notice different about the sled, is that it will be a little noisier to drive. My SXViper was a little noisier when I removed most of the foam....

I have used this product many times. And purchase from them daily at my place of business. Next day delivery in most cases. You can get it with adhesive backing as well.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#5692t62/=4opnu0

panels

Is it common for the right side body panel to sag. Mine is like the one in the picture. Possibly related to heat from the exhaust? Any sugestions on a fix.

Back