Got Juice?? HYD brakes opstyle.

Dammit!! No brackets yet... Was told they would be here last Friday. Still no-go. I know the holiday season slows everybody down and I'm a newbee to this waterjet guy but I am still wanting. I know how it goes so I'm not upset but am anxious as it is holding me back.

Anywho, Hardware for 12 is here. Enough parts (besides brackets) for 5 are in the shop. I started mockup on Carl Laponte's 600 he is building for his son (nice work and one lucky boy) for the first 5/600 Vmax version of this setup. Basically the same Bat-Deal (Batman, lol) with a few more needs. The rotor hub is different on the mighty 4's baby brothers so in order to use the SRX 700 style vented rotor it's hub must be removed and the rotor machined to work with the 5/600 hub. Not a huge deal but takes an hour or so with the right equipment in a machine shop. Could be done quicker with quantity. The other difference is in the small L shaped bracket for the original brake cable on the caliper end. It needs to be changed to the Vmax-4 style to work with the SRX style parking brake cable. Again not a biggie but one more thing to add into the equasion.

So here are a few pics of this setup in mockup on a 600 (rear caliper mount style). This bracket is just a template and is only 1/8" thick but serves the purpose for mockup. When the brackets finally get here is will be a 15 minute deal to swap.

opsled

PS, Carl's son should love this thing (hell I do). Carl's getting it all cleaned up and dialed up with goodies. GYT pipes, clutching, track, studs, etc. Giving it the go-over/improve.

Damn nice!!

(Hey Carl, fuel shut-off is in there, can ya find it??) lol

Attachments

• Carl Laponte 600 Vmax 004.jpg
    Carl Laponte 600 Vmax 004.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 171
  • Carl Laponte 600 Vmax 007.jpg
    Carl Laponte 600 Vmax 007.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 172
  • Carl Laponte 600 Vmax 006.jpg
    Carl Laponte 600 Vmax 006.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 171
  • Carl Laponte 600 Vmax 001.jpg
    Carl Laponte 600 Vmax 001.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 171
  • Carl Laponte 600 Vmax 003.jpg
    Carl Laponte 600 Vmax 003.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 171
  • Carl Laponte 600 Vmax 002.jpg
    Carl Laponte 600 Vmax 002.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 171

Set-up looks great Phil. First looked at this on my Iphone, could not find the shut off so thought I would try on computer---still can't find it? I can't wait to take this out for a spin myself! I'm really courious on how the 600's compare to the V4's.... We just need some snow in southern WI now!! Thanks for all your help w/ this!

600 install done with exception of substituting the template for the bracket (If I ever get them). A ten minute job.

opsled

Attachments

• 600 HYD brakes 82 ET 340 001.jpg
    600 HYD brakes 82 ET 340 001.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 168
  • 600 HYD brakes 82 ET 340 003.jpg
    600 HYD brakes 82 ET 340 003.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 171
  • 600 HYD brakes 82 ET 340 005.jpg
    600 HYD brakes 82 ET 340 005.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 169
  • 600 HYD brakes 82 ET 340 008.jpg
    600 HYD brakes 82 ET 340 008.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 167
Looks great Phil and dam every thing looks like it shines!

Love that clean look

OK!!!! I've got 12 new 6061-T6 aluminum giraffe cookies playin in the shop. (finally)

I caught two and tied them to a couple of Vmax's.

The rear mount is Carl's 600 with Yamaha GYT's. The front mount is My son Steve's 92-4 with PSI quads.

Same bracket does both jobs.

I didn't get the bill yet but now that I have the parts I'm fairly certian I'm not going to get jobbed on the quote for the water jetting as I am in the drivers seat.

I will sit down tomorrow and figure out a final cost for a kit for both Vmax-4's and 5/600's. The 5/600's will be more as there is one extra bracket needed and a rotor mod that must be done if you want to use the vented SRX style rotor. The stock rotor could also be used. Also need to work up an install instructions. Not a hard job but it will be a nice thing to have.

Will be under $150 for just the bracket and hardware. I can do them complete with master, caliper, hose, etc but that will depend on what I have to pay for those parts. Figure another $150 or less.

Four are spoken for so I have 8 available on this run. I will probably put this up on TY and some other places to gauge interest so if you want one say so as I will be starting a list.

Anywho, Gotta take Mama out fer fish and a Manhatten.

Later

opsled

Attachments

• final 2 004.jpg
    final 2 004.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 163
  • 100_1363.jpg
    100_1363.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 159
  • 100_1362.jpg
    100_1362.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 159
  • final 2 008.jpg
    final 2 008.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 159
If you use brake pads from a trailing arm Phazer you dont need to mod the rotor.......................

If you use brake pads from a trailing arm Phazer you dont need to mod the rotor.......................

Thanks for the tip Bill. What is the difference in them over the SRX style pads? Thicker? I owned a 99 Phazer once but it's been a while.

Some may want to do the rotor mod if they want the vented rotor. But it isn't nessassary. The mod requires removing the SRX center hub. Boring the hub pilot hole out to the right size and redrilling it for the 5/600 Vmax hub. Not a huge job but needs to be done right with the right equipment to keep things true.

opsled

OK, Sorted it out and here's the #'s.

Bracket and all hardware to install $130 plus shipping.

I can also supply the SRX/Viper style brake components and a Phazer 4 stroke brake hose for $150 or less depending on what I can buy or you can shop ebay for your own.

I can have the rotor mod done for 5/600 Max's too but I will get charged probably an hours labor for it (about $50). If I had them done in multiples that would come down.
If you have a drill press and a lathe you can do it yourself or have it done locally. (makes no difference to me)

By blind luck (or sheer coincidental genius lol) these brackets fit perfectly into a USPS Small Flat Rate box and I can get three brackets and all the hardware into one box. So shipping will be $5.35 or less to the US for up to three brackets with hardware. I checked shipping to Ontario and it will be around $10 for one kit. Norway would be about $20 so international shipping won't be bad either.

Pics are of three brackets in one small flat rate with hardware.

Thanks for all the pos comments,

Phil (opsled)

Attachments

• brackets shipping 001.jpg
    brackets shipping 001.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 146
  • brackets shipping 002.jpg
    brackets shipping 002.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 147
8 brackets and hardware spoken for. 4 left. Can do another run if there's enough interest.

Thanks guys,

opsled

Thanks for the tip Bill. What is the difference in them over the SRX style pads? Thicker? I owned a 99 Phazer once but it's been a while.

Some may want to do the rotor mod if they want the vented rotor. But it isn't nessassary. The mod requires removing the SRX center hub. Boring the hub pilot hole out to the right size and redrilling it for the 5/600 Vmax hub. Not a huge job but needs to be done right with the right equipment to keep things true.

opsled

A trailing arm Phazer has just that, the hyd brake, and a single thickness rotor, the pads have a thicker steel plate to take up the space, no need for a rotor then, I have several calipers and masters upstairs I will see how many I have, I have a PZ rotor also.

My son Steve got his 92 together with the front mount brake kit on it and ready to take out for a rip. He had to it do a few things to as it's not been used in a couple of years. Track swap (thanks Carl), carbs, pipes, good cleanup, nicer set of skis and new "PINK" skins from Jon B along with some other misc stuff.

Anywho, Grabbed some pics before it heads out for a bit of testing. It's finally a little cold here and we got enough snow (barely) for a rip around the yard.

Hard to believe this sled has over 9300 miles on the clock. Kawi550 built this engine years ago and she still runs like a champ. (nice work Bill)

Will try and get some vids later when it goes out the door. Should be fun.

opsled

PS, Excuse the shop, It's a mess in here right now.

Attachments

• Steve's 92-Vmax-4 Ready to Rock 009.jpg
    Steve's 92-Vmax-4 Ready to Rock 009.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 114
  • Steve's 92-Vmax-4 Ready to Rock 008.jpg
    Steve's 92-Vmax-4 Ready to Rock 008.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 116
  • Steve's 92-Vmax-4 Ready to Rock 001.jpg
    Steve's 92-Vmax-4 Ready to Rock 001.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 116
  • Steve's 92-Vmax-4 Ready to Rock 010.jpg
    Steve's 92-Vmax-4 Ready to Rock 010.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 115
  • Steve's 92-Vmax-4 Ready to Rock 002.jpg
    Steve's 92-Vmax-4 Ready to Rock 002.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 116
  • Steve's 92-Vmax-4 Ready to Rock 007.jpg
    Steve's 92-Vmax-4 Ready to Rock 007.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 115
Opsled, you truly are a cunning linguist. I heard that somewhere before, seems to fit.

Thanks, I'm a licker of pink myself. (I mean liker lol).

We'll see if she wants to pick her feet up later and show off her new shoes.

opsled

We got a little vid done. It was a little gray out and had warmed a bit so what little snow we have was loose. No frost inderneath either so there was not much bite to be had. In the begining while up on the stand I was reving and brakeing. The mount works well and holds everything steady. Traction being low didn't get a real feel for any increase in stopping power but it will lock up the track with ease. Should have done it in the AM while things were hard and had bite. Would have been more fun cuz this ol pig still wants to run..

I hope the fugly S.O.B. in the blue jacket doesn't make anyone ill but I had to work with the available cast. (lol)

opsled

PS, Click on pic for vid.

OK, down to four brackets in the shop. One (maybe two) are spoken for but if they don't make up their mind soon they can go too.

The three we installed last night were needed because of a new rule requirement to race the class they were in so guys that are racing these things may want to check any new requirements.

I can have more done once these are gone but won't lay out the $ for more without solid commitments. I have one complete kit ready to ship that is one of the spoken for ones but used up almost everything else last night. I do have more coming.

opsled

PS, Pics are of complete kit.

PM with any Q's or call 262-716-3368

Attachments

• Manatowoc 002.jpg
    Manatowoc 002.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 92
  • Manatowoc 003.jpg
    Manatowoc 003.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 92
  • Manatowoc 005.jpg
    Manatowoc 005.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 93
I finally got to try out Phil's kit on my sons 600. It worked great. Felt like a NOS system. Thanks Phil!!

Back