Latest tuning results

Mad Powersports

Valued Sponsor
Well it was a good weekend for tuning and testing.

The temps were about -6 on saturday when I tested.

I changed everything back to stock position. Clutches and carbs. I left the 153.6 mains in and set the needles to the stock middle position with the white washer under the clip.

I then replaced the stock gearing 21/37 with 20/39 and went for a 30 mile test ride. Awesome acceleration compared to stock. I now have about 3/8 to 1/2 inch of marker left on the primary sheave. I'm satisfied with that as clutches were cool to the touch. But I went through almost a half tank of fuel. She was burbling at almost all throttle positions. I knew the gas mileage hog was back. But it never burbled before when it had the stock gearing in it. I'm thinking I removed some of the load on the engine and it is running more "freewheeling" for lack of a better term.

Sunday morning I did a piston wash check and seen the half the piston was clean. Way to much fuel. So, I raised the clip one notch to the second from the top and the white washer under the clip and reinstalled. Temps yesterday were maybe -3 to zero. The clip change cleared up most of the burbling except for WFO throttle. My fuel mileage also returned as the same 30 mile ride barely moved the fuel gauge from full.

Now I'm back to stock everything except GYT pipes and 20/39 gears which a very close to 2.0 ratio not the 1.75 that was stock.

I went back to stock so I have a baseline to work from. I will do a piston wash check tonight and see what she looks like. I'm thiinking about removing the white washer from under the clip and placing it on top of the clip. Do any of you folks remember seeing this white washer? it appears to be qiute thick. I don't want to go too lean. I'll measure it tonight, but what are my options out there for these washers? My other option is to go to a smaller main jet but don't really want to do that as that will lean ouit the engine throught the entire rpm range.

I guess I'm asking if you fellas think it's ok to change that washer to the top of the clip and try that. I think it will be ok as it was burbling at zero degrees and I won't ride if it's much colder than that. So it should be fine at any temps above 0. Also could this gear change make that much of a difference?

This is on my 600 twin btw

They make 1/2 thickness plastic washers, you put 2 in, then you can go with the clip in the middle or 2 on top or on bottom. Think you can get them from the dealer,

I measured it and it's .79mm. White plastic washer. I also checked plugs and piston wash. Plugs are very dark brown/ almost black. and the piston is about 1/3 clean. IIRC about the size of a fingernail is the size of the clean area on the piston right?

I'm gonna do it. Put the plastic washer on top of the clip.

vmax 600

...................interesting, ive been buggering around with my gearing aswell, as someone pointed out to me being able to do 160kph was all well and good but it wasnt helping me get up the mountains!
l ended up with a 19-39 setup, yesterday was the first trial in the powder/mountains, it goes up like a raped ape now, The clutch comes out feels to the touch like yours (thanks for the tip} and the plugs where a great colour a tad dark if i wanted to be really anal but riding temps can range and we ended up +3 on the way home yesterday!! lve had a pig of a job getting my sled dialed in, from what i read from your experiances i think i shall ride and observe (famous last words)

Back