Mods for 03 rx-1

4 -strokes are new to me so some help is needed. What are must mods to get more power out from rx-1 engine. Do you have any experience of Hauck or Bender exhaust systems.

I am considering new (used) sled for next winter. Rx is one possibility but how much slower it is than my srx. And I dont want to be slower....

Thanks

-sami-

Get the ECP air filter kit, you will get air filters, carbs springs, jets, and some different spark plugs. Really wakes the motor up, then clutch clutch clutch. There is not alot of power to be made with exhaust systems on the RX-1's but the best HP is going with the Excel single exhaust that exits out the center.

I haven't had a problem with the TRAIL srx's I've raced, I've been beat up on by some modded ones out on the lake. It depends who you talk to, I say a good setup RX-1 is right with or ahead of an SRX, but if Yammiegod sees this post I'm sure we'll have another good debate on our hands, LOL. :muahaha:

MASTER lol !!! FIRST LET ME SAY I HATE THE RX-1. THEY COULD NOT GIE ME ONE. MY GREAT FRIEND MARK HAS A RUNNING 05 RX-1. IT IS WELL CLUTCHED WITH 8BU-00 AND REALLY PULLS HARD. I RODE IT FOR A DAY AND HATED IT. ITS A ATV QUAD ON SKI,s. NOW. I HAVE A TRAIL SRX, MY 02 AND I HAVE CRUSHED ABOUT AS GOOD AS IT GETS PRE-TURBOED 4 STROKES. I DID NOT GET A CHANCE TO RACE A APPEX. WE HAD AWFUL WINTER HERE THIS YEAR. AFEW OF THE GUYS I RACED ARE REGULARS ON TY 4STROKE SO I AM NOT INTERNET RACING HERE. DUDE, I DISAGREE, A FAIR SRX WILL CRUSH A WELL SET-UP RX-1. A GOOD SRX KNOW CONTEST. YOUR IGHT, HERE COMES THE DEBATE. !! 3:16 (tony)

YES, here we go, its gonna be a long summer, LOL.

The 05 RX-1's are hindered by the mono-shock, too much drag in that skid compared to a well setup Pro-Action. The Mono will come out of the hole nice though.

I had bad luck this winter, went to TY ride and snapped my driveshaft so I didn't get to race any of those guys, I did race one Apex on the lake on my 03 and owned it pretty bad. Pulled him hard from 60+.

To date the only NON-TURBO RX-1 that my RX-1 has been beaten by was NOS-PRO's sled from TY when he was on the spray a year ago.

I believe a good SRX would probably go by me on a real long haul, but my RX seems to be hella strong to about 110.

Unfortunately there aren't too many SRX's left around here anymore, everyone I know who had em have since gotten rid of them, there are some CPR triple pipe Vipers that I handle from bottom to top though. :muahaha:

This seems good topic... LOL :muahaha:

The Apex is a strong runner. It took my stock Vmax4 last winter when we compared them to a arcticle to one of our snowmobile magazines. Not by much, but still I got beat. And the new 4-stroke ran faster at Muhos speedrun too ( Vmax4 168,22 kmh and the Apex 171 kmh ).

But, everyone has to agree that 10 year old dinosaur like the Vmax4 still gives a punch to new sled is impressive!:party:

Ike

Master of Faster said:
YES, here we go, its gonna be a long summer, LOL.

The 05 RX-1's are hindered by the mono-shock, too much drag in that skid compared to a well setup Pro-Action. The Mono will come out of the hole nice though.

I had bad luck this winter, went to TY ride and snapped my driveshaft so I didn't get to race any of those guys, I did race one Apex on the lake on my 03 and owned it pretty bad. Pulled him hard from 60+.

To date the only NON-TURBO RX-1 that my RX-1 has been beaten by was NOS-PRO's sled from TY when he was on the spray a year ago.

I believe a good SRX would probably go by me on a real long haul, but my RX seems to be hella strong to about 110.

Unfortunately there aren't too many SRX's left around here anymore, everyone I know who had em have since gotten rid of them, there are some CPR triple pipe Vipers that I handle from bottom to top though. :muahaha:

what was your overall impression of his sled on the juice? As for the mono, don't you think they are alot more efficient when you suck the front limiters right up? I know it was night and day in mine as far as drag, look at one setup from the factory and as it sits there flat the limiter strap is perfectly loose, take about 3 holes out of it to tighten it and it makes a huge difference.

Could be jminor, I don't have one and I haven't tuned on one as of yet. I know the monos I've seen in trail form were lacking on top end, and the guys I talked to that went from 03-04's to 05's said the monos were scrubbing top end compared to their old sled, I wouldn't be surprised though if it could be tuned out, but maybe then you would loose some of the weight transfer that the mono is good for and suffer out of the hole?

NOS-PRO's sled rocked on the juice, when we raced straight up I beat him by a couple of lengths without a problem. On the next run he hit the button and put a good 4-5 lengths on me. It seemed like more of an initial blast, like he pulled me real hard right away and then it kinda started to even out again, but I know on the very top end with nitrous that sled would just keep on pullin.

I set my skid up on my 05 and you just adjust the transfer rod to get more than enough hook. what numbers were you seeing on a gun?

PROBLEM I HAVE IS THIS. WHY DOSE THE 4 STROKE HAVE TOO BE ON JUICE. I AM TALKING NATURALLY ASPIRATED. JUST LIKE MY BUDDIE MARKS. ALL WE DID WAS MAKE A CLUTCH KIT FOR IT. YOU GUYS ALL HAVE SEN THE PICTURE AND VIDEO OF JACOBEYS RACE. THAT BLACK WARRIOR I AM RACING FLYS. NO JUICE, NO TURBO, NATURAL ASPRATED. TWO YEARS AGO THAT WAS ONE OF THE FASTEST STOCKERS AT JACOBEYS AND BEAT MY 800. THIS YEAR WE TOOK HIM 2/3 WITH MY 800. ONLY REASON WE DID NOT TAKE HIM 3/0 WAS STARTING LINE FAVORED HIM, MARK LAUNCH SIDEWAYS AND STILL RAN HIM DOWN TOO WITH,IN A SKI. WE THAN RACED HIM ON A CLAY STARTING LINE. DROVE AROUND HIM AT 200 F.T. MARK. THIS IS A NATURAL ASPIRATED 4 STROKE THAT IS VERY INPRESSIVE. I ALSO HAVE BEAT,IN THEM ON SPRAY. MASTER, YOUR COREECT, THE SRX,s ARE LIKE VMAX 4,s NOW, OLD NEWS. MOST OUT THERE RUN LIKE CRAP. I EVEN HAVE NOTICED THAT !! 3:16 (tony)

I think your right Yammiegod, the majority of the SRX's, Vmax4's and whatever else you run into most of the time aren't tuned like they ought to be. Most of these guys think they can buy an off the shelf "clutch kit" and have the fastest sled on the snow :Flush:

jminor said:
I set my skid up on my 05 and you just adjust the transfer rod to get more than enough hook. what numbers were you seeing on a gun?

I got no studs so I never radared it out on the lake, I did gps it out on the road in front of my house at 116.x but its a 136x1.25 track, full ride height, team secondary. Not clutched for top end either. Speedometer was bouncing around just under 130.

LETS FACE IT, TODAY IF YOUR NOT ON A REV, 4 STROKE YAMAHA OR F-7, STAY HOME !!! SRX,s ARE A THING OF THE PAST. VMAX 4,s YIKES I BEEN AT PLACES WHERE PEOPLE HAVE ASKED ME '' WHATS THAT ''. I GUESS ALL OF US ARE HOLD OUTS lol !! 3:16 (tony)

It's fun being a hold out, the looks you get on the trails riding a V4 are priceless. And then when you can keep up with or beat most of the newer sleds, they just scratch their heads. I like the 4strokes, and will eventually buy one, but I'll never give up my Vmax's.

Exciter570 said:
It's fun being a hold out, the looks you get on the trails riding a V4 are priceless. And then when you can keep up with or beat most of the newer sleds, they just scratch their heads. I like the 4strokes, and will eventually buy one, but I'll never give up my Vmax's.

Exactly! :653:

AH CHRIS, YOU WILL GET RID OF THAT VMAX 4 SO FAST WHEN YOU GET YOUR 4 STROKE lol!!! JUST CALL ME WHEN YOUR READY !! lol 3:16 (tony)

Tony, lol... That Vmax4 will be a showpiece one of these days sitting on a platform in my garage, right along side my 95 600, and my future sleds.... 93 Exciter II SX, 85 Vmax 540 and later model SRV 540. Ever since Yami turned to the pro-action chasis, their sleds haven't drawn my attention even a 1/4 of what the sleds above still do. Just can't get over the good ole TSS models.

GOD I AM OLD lol !!!! 93 EXCITER sx, 95 VMAX 600, LATE SRV 540 ? DUDE, COOL YOU KNOW ABOUT AND WANT THOSE SLEDS. NOW MY OLD ASS HOW ABOUT THESE IN MY SHOWCASE, 75 433 GPX, 1977 SRX 440 , 1978 SRX 440 lol !!! 3:16 (tony)

Wow...and thanks guys. I wasnt expecting this much answers to my topic. And tony you are right, only few "old" 2 strokes like v4 and srx are tuned right, and even less are tuned to show their true potential.

I`ve raced last winter against rx 06 (apex there) and it went like this.
Srx was faster from hole, at 80kmh point rx came beside me and got only 1 meter lead. Mys srx skis were beside rx track.

We drove like this until my speedometer was 180 kmh (112.5mph) point, at this speed srx just kept pulling away. Result was clear and speedometer needle was showing over 190 kmh (120mph), and I was happy riding "old" 2 stroke.

And maybe I am getting old if I want nice 4 stroke trail sled. But I will always love SRX and its engine. Its a (race) drivers sled....

-sami-

Last edited:
MY experiences against the new 4-stroke is :

they almost always get me out of the hole, but when closing top speed I get them. Midrange on theso 4-strokes is imressive, but still they need more power to run faster. My stock Yokohama track really sucks when hammering it down from the start line...

Ike

Back