morale dilema on what to ride

ranger690

So were fixing to head up to the UP michigan to do a 3 day trail ride. Im undecided on which sled i should bring with. Its either my 95 800 vmax4 or my 01 srx 700.. ive never really done a multi day trek on the sleds just 100mile or less 1 day trips. So i guess my ? is what would make a better overall trail sled. the srx has an upgraded 03 rx1 suspension and my 800 has the sc10 upgrade. For those who have done these longer trips what would you recomend as a better overall sled. I love my 800 but we are going to be putting on a few miles so idk if the srx would be more efficient gas wise or just say screw it and go with the 800.

thanks
kyle

How far between fill up"s? aggressive trailriding? How much in the wallet...LOL
Have a great time!!!

I've taken many trips to the UP and love my Max but really miss my SXR now that the gas stations are getting harder to find up there. If I had my choice, I would go with the SRX for that trip. I say that planning to go to the UP this year with my Max. I have no other sled so I will be planning gas stops very carefully seeing that the gas mileage is about 8mpg.

Enjoy your trip!!

i do remember the srx getting much better mileage, but i felt the 800 was faster and the sound of the bender stinger :rockon: .. Im not to worried about the gas expense as its the only time im goin up this year, but the length between stations could be cause for concern, as running out wouldnt be much fun. ill have to ponder on this some more but thanks for the responses

Be a man!! Take the 4.................

Stop at every gas station ya see (even if ya don't need none). Show that badboy off. Brag about how much fuel it uses. Tell anyone that gives ya crap ta stick it cuz you got another gas station to make and ya ain't got time to listen to no eco-friendly sled-slugs and their gas mileage triumps. You got trail to burn and the ultimate, man handlin hotrod to burn it with so go hug a tree, or feed a squirrel or somthin.

Then when ya run into some TY two stroke tripple groupie or some TY four stroke bator (insert the word master in front of the previous word) braggin up their iron and puttin down your old dinosaur, just tell em,,,,

"yea I got a SRX and/or an Apex at home in the garage but I left em there cuz my wife and her mother wanted to ride to church this Sunday and they needed something they could handle......

Attitude, cool factor, looks, sound and a heavy right thumb. All make ya a winner on a 4.

How's DAT!! (lol)

opsled

I agree with EVERYTHING that Opsled jst said!!!

and I could not have worded it any better!!!!

Take the VMAX-4 and show them all what it is all about dude!!!

Bubba :rockon:

:smilies-9

Last edited:
Thanks opsled! Now I know what to have engraved on my tombstone!:2haha::2haha::2haha:

ranger690 - You might want to have the db's checked on your 800. The new Michigan noise laws might put a damper on your weekend, and make your choice easier. I know my PSI quads wouldn't pass the test.

Shark

ranger690 - You might want to have the db's checked on your 800. The new Michigan noise laws might put a damper on your weekend, and make your choice easier. I know my PSI quads wouldn't pass the test.

Shark

Or you can use Al P's approach to a discounted insurance premium!

Shark

I'm sure my quads or even the triples on my 700 probably would fail but if I understand the test
parameters correctly (and I have yet to see one set up on the trails) just be smart in towns etc and you will be fine.

Or you can use Al P's approach to a discounted insurance premium!

LOL!!
T'was thinkin the same thing.

Al P's sig------

(WARNING!!! MICE WILL EAT YOUR VMAX 4!!!

I just saved a ton of money on my snowmobile insurance by running from the cops..LOL)

Just put some lead in the right thumb of yer glove and hang onto yer shorts with the left. If they can catch ya they earned the right ta give ya a ticket. Make em work for it.

opsled

ranger690 - You might want to have the db's checked on your 800. The new Michigan noise laws might put a damper on your weekend said:
Are the new Michigan laws so stringent that a Bender stinger won't pass? I'm confident the exhaust I have currently wouldnt pass but was hoping a Bender stinger would.

Sucks, ride the 4 and bring lots of cash for gas. DNR are pretty spread out in the UP....

From the Michigan Snowmobile Association forums:

The standard being used for the test is the SAE J2567. You can get to the actual document by going the sae page but you have to pay a fee to get the long version of the test. http://www.sae.org/t...ds/J2567_200401

The legal DB is 88DB.

The Test is to be performed:
The sound meter microphone is placed 4 feet above the ground, inline with the exhaust outlet/center point of multiple exhaust outlets, on the side of the snowmobile toward which the exhaust is directed, 4 meters distance from the snowmobile longitudinal centerline. The operator holds the brake during the test, starts and runs the engine up to normal operating temperature, then slowly opens the throttle until a steady 3,750 to 4,000 rpm is achieved for not less than 4 seconds. The test is immediately repeated and the two readings averaged."

I have the tag that came with my sled that shows the noise level with the stock exhaust. Thought I had it on my computer but can't find it right now. I'll dig it up. They're saying that some of the new stock sleds aren't even passing the test.

Shark

Well we are currently on our way up.. the 800 will be my primary sled just couldn't leave her at home..can't wait to get on and hammer down..ended up selling the srx and getting a modded sxviper .. I will have to report back but lookin 4ward to gettin on the lake with the 4

Let us know where in the UP the snow is!! I may be heading up to the Soo for the I500 again this year and probably will be taking the V4 this time (if there is snow).

Have fun!

When in the U.P. gas when ever you see it. I've found myself 100 yards from the gas station empty and flying down side walks in South Range taking some of Al's advice.

I will let y'all know the trail conditions .. And definatly will fill up every chance I get.. Had it out on the lake for about 8 miles and the gas gauge has moved , it's runnin great forgot how fast these sleds truly are... I have a trail report for tomorrow . Thanks for all the help and advise guys this is What makes this forum so great

Out for now
Kyle

Back