Ready for First NSSR Speed Run of 2010!

They are still as I left them last winter. I don't think the V-max would do so hot without studs on ice. The Summit would be a better choice.
You going?

BTW- were you at Poinsett this weekend? We were there on Sat.

Plan on being there as long as I get back on Friday night as planned.

I wasn't at Poinsett, worked all day yesterday and my wife works Sundays so I was babysitting today. Dad was up there today on the poker run.

Well finally have a break to give an update from last weekend. The first run I made was a "shakedown" run as I took the sled off the track dyno and straight to the track. First run, only 12 psi of boost on the spring and ran 149.xxx mph in 1000' (we know our new engine package is making some big power) Then we turned on the electronic boost controller on for a 36 psi run and the sled gurgled and sputtered for litterally 800 ft and maybe had a track speed of 80 mph at 800', finally the boost came on hard and the sled was gone thru the traps and ran 155 mph pulling all that mph in the last 200 ft or so, then the picks pulled thru the track and "snap". Luckily nothing even happened to the sled or tunnel when the track broke and it shot straight out the back. So I have a new Dayco 11.25" x 134" speed band and new 134" Anderson suspension that is going in on Saturday with a new NOS '95 Vmax-4 ST tunnel extension. The gurgling was caused from the fuel pump kicking on to early and dumping 16 psi of fuel pressure in the engine at engagement and basically drowning the engine for 800', easy fix now...its already done but the blown track ended our day. Oh well thats racing...we are ready for Menomonie's Guinness Book of World Record Run on the 30th. After seeing the sled pull a 155 in the last few hundred feet means that 170-175 will be no problem!

More problems, LOL! We didn't get to run the Guiness 1/4 mile race. We had the sled already to go, made an early 1000' pass right away to make sure all was good, air was perfect and about -0- degrees out, BUT, the sled took off extremely quick with Glenn Hall riding and without a doubt was going to be a very fast pass, then "POP" at 1/2 track. The turbo overboosted to its limits of 45+ psi of boost, due to the cold air and exhaust size turbo housing (thats why it looked so fast) and stretched the head studs, leaking boost pressure into the coolant system and blew off the coolant lines and blewout the crank seals on recoil side.

Soooo.... today I'm tearing down the engine and machining crank seal retainer plates and beefing up the head studs. The sled should be ready to go by next Sunday night. Sucks, but thats racing and this is what it takes to get to the next level with these crazy horsepower levels...More horsepower, more problems. We'll be ready for Forest Lake in 2-weeks with an even stronger fresh Vmax-4 engine.

Take care guys...I better go get busy!!!

Justin - Sorry to hear about the recent problems, but you'll get a handle on it. 560HP is crazy for that engine, and I'll bet you will find ways to squeeze more out of it. You're pioneering engine building that nobody has done before, and it will pay off in the long haul. Each increase in horsepower will uncover a new "weakest link". Take any form of motorsports and the pros have been building their engines for years, and still have mechanical issues. You'll have good days and bad days, that's racing. Keep at it, we're all impressed with the improvements you've made so far! :clap::clap::clap:

Shark

Back