RX-1 clutching? again

the clutch and seconary on the rx1 are the same with different guts as that of a viper or srx right? Is there anywhere you had written the setup down??

The guts are the same...rollers & primary springs are different. I never wrote anything down & i am now regretting doing that. I used to be able to remember every thing i tried but old age is biting me in the a$$!

Any idea on how much improvement over stock? I'm sure you had the gun out on this one!! Also, seeing as how you ordered from Rick at advant-edge, you must be Canadian as well?Thanks Turk. Dean did you have any issues with that suspension yet?

I got the same top end as a stocker but racing a real skinny guy on a bone stock RX I would walk away from him accelerating from a dead stop.

jminor said:
Dean did you have any issues with that suspension yet?

Josh, nothing yet, except for the rust where all of the welds are.
I'm going to get my whole rear skid powdercoated in spring.

Turk said:
I got the same top end as a stocker but racing a real skinny guy on a bone stock RX I would walk away from him accelerating from a dead stop.

By the same top end would you say 115? How do I get more top end? I know, I know but I mean other than a TURBO!!!!!

I geared my RX-1 down & I was slower all over the place...holeshot, mid & top end. Leave the gearing stock.To get more top end install a SRX suspension(8" travel) ; a speed track & suck the suspension down.

I want top end without sacrificing ride!! There's got to be something in the clutching to get me that.

Turk said:
I geared my RX-1 down & I was slower all over the place...holeshot, mid & top end. Leave the gearing stock.To get more top end install a SRX suspension(8" travel) ; a speed track & suck the suspension down.

Turk, Sounds good to me..... I wasnt sure to believe that one or not!!!!!
:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Agreed, lower gearing with a 121 RX-1 was crap when I tried it, lost 4mph in 1000ft and the acceleration wasn't as smooth.

My setup doesn't really apply to anyone because I run a Team Secondary so I'm setup differently, but I too run the Heavy Hitters.

One thing I deffinitely found out was that you have to shift these four-strokes, 10,500 rpm was SLOW on my sled. Lost 3 lengths at 10,500 as compared to 9900. Deffinietly agree with Turk on the rpms. If you get too high you get too far out of the torque, which may be ok on a sheet of ice, but doesn't work in real world conditions.

They're somewhat different. They're a different cut. Take a 58-44-.50 for example starts at 58 degress, falls to 44 degrees but halfway through the shift it reaches its final angle and finishes at a straight rate, its hard to explain I guess. I'd be happy to give anybody my setup, but they'd have to realize that it would definitely need fine tuning to fit their sled, as I've made some other changes.

Have you had a post of your 03 on that avatar of yours yet LOL?? I think the 03's were about 109-111 out of the box, what are you at?

Mine is good for 125 on the speedo so roughly 113-115 in the real world as it sits. I know that I can pull more out of it but primarily I like it to run good in the shorter distances. Now my dad also has an 03 and he'll eventually walk by me on the big end, but can't hang in the shorter distances.

There is a trick involving the TPS on the RX-1s that not alot of people mess with but it does make a difference. Alot of sleds with poor top end have too high of a TPS setting (it can be changed just simply by cleaning the carbs and bumping it), but a higher TPS setting can make ya rip in 500 ft.

So basically I set the TPS's up for different condtions, thats one of the reasons for the top-end difference, other than clutching, gearing, and about a hundred other factors.

Adjusting the TPS is kinda sorta like advancing the timing. Works on newer SRX,s also to help give a boost on low end power but will cost ya a few on top end.

Turk, What sled is the silver spring from ? any ideas in where to start with primary rivets ? I know it will just be a start, I mostly ride sealevel to 1500-2000 ft and weigh probably 210-220 dressed to ride..

Thanks.:bowdown:

Turk said:
HH weights, 48/40 advant-edge helix, silver spring at 80 wrap. This will run right with a ported 700 SRX.Mine was quickest withthis set up tested including 8bu,s & heelclickers. I don,t remember the exact set up as far as mass in the weights but i can get ya close.Most kits over-rev the engine. You gotta be 9800 rpm holeshot & slowly climbing to no more then 10,200 at WOT.

Working from my crappy memory; 1/4" allen in heel' 4 grams 1st hole & 2 grams tip should be close.

Back