Vmax800 Jetting - a little help please

xcr5

What's everyone's experience with safe jetting on Vmax 800's?

I took my 96 on a maiden voyage this past week and got a dismall 6.5 mpg! Ran the sled bone dry at 65 miles on the odometer. Sled is bone stock so stock jetting.

What are people doing to get some mileage out of these sleds? I ride in the midwest sea level - 3,000ft max.

Can you drop mains, needle positions, etc???

Looking for some info from seasoned Vmax 800 owners on this subject please...

Thanks,

XCR5

Jetting

Thanks for the help?

Was told this site was full of usefull info on the Vmax4's - not really finding that to be the case. If reality is 6-7mpg then let me know that. However; I hear of people saying they get 10-11mpg - would like to know if that's posible and better yet some jetting recommendations beside keep it stock and you won't blow it up! From the look of my plugs running around at 5 deg F this past week there's plenty of fuel getting to the motor. I'm looking for direction on if it's better/safer to drop the needles or mains on this sled and fuel screw set ups would be appreciated also.

Thanks...

Try the search option at the top of the page. Type in jetting. AL P has jetting info in the carb section. Lots of help here just need to search sometimes.

Thanks for the plug, but i just posted some jetting per temp/altitude charts, I`m certainly no jetting guru by no means..not saying you suggested I was, but..LOL...

but..I would add that, clutching (clutch needing a tune up), track drag, snow depth, rider weight etc, could certainly play a big role in gas mileage..plus belt condition might be a factor..if it`s getting worn out, then excess slippage may be occuring, causing a higher rpm per speed then the usuall..

Maybe tell us a bit more nfo, and someone will be able to tell if your getting the normal MPG that you should be?

cause again, hypotheticaly, if you were doing alot of off trail riding, in deep snow, with a worn out belt etc..your gas mileage will probley be alot less then a guy running hard pack trails, with a good condition belt..

Jetting

Al, saw your post on jetting and you're right it's a guideline for temps not what is practical or real world results. Like I mentioned earlier, sled is a 96 and is bone stock, sled has 2,000 miles, I took clutches apart and inspected/cleaned them when I purchased the sled, I took the rear suspension out and inspected/greased everything and went through the bearings in the wheels everything is moving freely. Set chain deflection in the gear case and changed oil in chain case and gear case. I did mention in an earlier post that I have to run the track tighter then I'm used to with other brands in order to stop the track from ratcheting under hard acceleration. Sled has even compression across the board and runs well but plugs indicate they're plenty rich in the 5 degree weather I was running it in this weekend. Again, if 6.5 mpg is what everyone is seeing with this sled then that's what it is - but I've seen post from others claiming more mpg. The sled wasn't beat on this past weekend as I was trail riding on groomed trails with my kids. I didn't buy this beast to take off trail, I'll leave that work to my switchback. Sled was purchased to take out on the trail every now and then for some old school fun but with gas stations folding up everywhere you look it's pretty difficult getting around in the northwoods if 65 miles is all you can muster out of a tank of fuel!

If everyone is running these things with stock jetting or they burn down well then it is what it is, but if people have had positive results with some jetting changes that's what I'm inquiring about. Not what I heard you can do stuff but actual results...

Thanks for the reply Al...

XCR5

jetting

Oh yea - brand new Yamaha belt also with belt deflection and alignment checked and set.

IF THE SLED IS BONE STOCK, WHAT YA WANT TO SCREW WITH THE JETTING FOR. THIS SLED IS MORE THAN SAFE AND YOU NEVER WILL HAVE A ISSUE. NOW USUALLY WHEN ONE WANTS TO DROP JET SIZES THEIR CONCERN IS PERFORMANCE NOT MPG. IF YOU WERE WORRIED ABOUT MPG, WHY YA GET A VMAX 4. WHY NOT A PHAZER. 3:16 (yammie tony)

When my 800 was bone stock and gas was good I ran 141.3's with the needles leaned 1 clip - 8/9 mpg all day long on groomed trails.

BTW my quad piped sled gets the same mpg today.

My seld was getting about the same milage as yours when we (my dad and I) started riding it. We droped the jetting a couple of sizes, and have been the same jets since 93 (133.8 and 47.5) get 10 pretty much exactly every time. Still getting close to that now (8.5ish, but have some issues to chase down). Jets are cheap, and aslong as your proficient, swap them out, and read the plugs again. Worst case, you learn how to pull the carbs out of these things like a pro! Jetting to get 10mpg, did put us on the edge of the lean mark on really cold days, so if you can get it to the 8-9 range, You would prob be in a good are to be in. Not too lean, and not pigish.

MPG can be very different while using the same sled on the same trail , same conditions but with different riders. A rider that eases into the throttle and never accelerates very hard and crusies at a steady 20-30 mph on the trails is going to get 8-10 mpg. Now someone that accelerates hard enough to rachet the track , goes WOT at the end of corners and straightaways, charges stop signs and then slams on brakes is going to get the 5-7 mpg. You could change your riding style and never go over half throttle. As for me I do not trail ride my Vmax-4's I ride mine on the lake.

Eric

jetting

Vmax4rules and silver talon - thanks for the info.

Silver, if you refering back to jetting from 93 I take it you have a 750 Vmax4 so your jetting wouldn't apply to my 96 800.

Captjagger and Yammigod - so you're telling me Yamaha had this sled perfect from the factory? Because I commented that the track ratchets on take off I'm assumed to be beating on it and shouldn't expect any fuel mileage? I'm not driving this 4 cylinder hog like a lightweight twin in the trails. Accelleration is smooth, just like the motor. Plug reads tell me the motor is getting more then enough fuel. If I was only taking it out to drag race on the lake I wouldn't be worried about mileage either but with gas stops closing up all over the place I'm trying to improve the dismal 65 mile range of the sled.

To those that actually offered suggestions for improvement - thank you and keep them coming...

XCR5

Yes, mine is a 92 750, so thouse were the jettings for my sled. I belive in 93, they leaned out the factory jets for the 750's anyway, but cant remember. And as for riding hard or easy, it made very little difference on my sled if we were putting along at 30 or 90, it was always with a few miles a tank difference. And this is riding the sled since 93, with the same jets that it still has in it, AND over 15k miles. Your results may vary :p, but id grab some 141's and see how it goes! Wont hurt to give the carbs a go through either.

To those that actually offered suggestions for improvement - thank you and keep them coming...

XCR5
If you read my entire post with an open mind it doesnt matter what sled you choose take a brand new apex or take a car doesnt matter, driving style or riding style can be a big difference with the same sled or car. You can have everything the same but the rider/driver and you can see mpg difference. As for the racheting we all know that you have to run the track tight for it not to rachet. but if you take a sled with a looser track and slowly acclerrate the track will not rachet but if you accerate harder it will rachet and does not mean you are beating on it. But it does mean that you are using more throttle to get the sled going which in point means more gas is being used and charging stop signs means that you are on the throttle longer and braking harder rather than coasting to the stop sign. This also means more gas usage. while on the trail if you are on and off the throttle compared to an even throttle you are using more gas. All in all RIDING STYLE CAN CAUSE LOWER MPG why keep repeating what was already posted. And no we do not think that these sleds came from Yamaha Perfect but once again why not try an open mind and open solutions, the jetting issue was already addressed so I offered another reason for lower MPG.

Eric aka CaptJager
Admin and OWNER Vmax4.com

Jetting

Eric, I came to this forum with an open mind looking for lots of info on the sled I've been after for quite some time.

I've been driving snowmobiles for over 30yrs so I'm quite familiar with how riding style can effect mpg. If you would have read my post a bit closer you would have seen that I've done plenty of plug checks on the V4 and she's getting more then enough fuel. My questions revolved around what others experience has been with jetting set ups on Vmax4 800. I wasn't looking for a lecture on keeping it stock and it won't blow up or vmax4s aren't made for mileage there made for the lakes, etc.:rotflmao:

I plan to go through the sled and check the condition of jets and the float levels this week, but while I was in there thought I might make some jetting changes if I found info that others have jetted down, dropped needles or adjusted fuel screws with good results.

Piece...

What are people doing to get some mileage out of these sleds? I ride in the midwest sea level - 3,000ft max.

And I gave you one of the ways Not my fault that you did not want to hear this way. BTW my first ride on a sled was in 74' so I guess I also have over 30 years of riding.

PEACE
v-peace.gif

Was told this site was full of usefull info on the Vmax4's - not really finding that to be the case.
U need to chill dude,the answers are here spend some time on the search engine or give us time to post to your questions..

"I ride in the midwest sea level - 3,000ft max".

that seams to be a pretty big range...if it were jetted perfect for sea level, it`d probley be a bit rich at 3000ft..

when ya checked the plugs, were you closer to sea level? or 3000ft??

Back