Vmax800 Jetting - a little help please

If your sled is an untouched "stock" 800 then it will have 146.3 mains in it. Most dealers set up or "changed" the jetting to best suit the area where the sled was originally sold. Do you know for sure what mains are in it now and what the needle position is?
Most probably IF you are runnung GOOD fuel at 0-3000 feet altitude with temps doen to -5 F,you could possibly (I take no responsibility if you melt down) you can get away with leaning the needle out 1 clip position, and dropping the mains to 141.3 and still be safe.Keep an eye on the plugs! If you run that crap ethanol fuel, leave it alone, and pack extra fuel with you.
This is only a guess,on jetting for you.The best way is to re-jet,and test. As for mpg, not too many people here care what they get, after all it is a MUSCLESLED.:a7:

I have 96 also...almost stock (cylinders raised and cut to maintain .058"ish squish), stock clutching, stock pipes.
I leaned out the pilots one size (don't even remember what size anymore).
Groomed trail riding I can consistently get at least 90 miles out of a tank, and I'm always booking at a good clip. My key is to maintain as little throttle opening as possible (running on the pilot jets) while still being on the pipe without tapping much into the mains. I am fully aware that I might be in the danger zone for a midrange burndown (so far 1000 miles and counting), but it sure runs nice and crisp, along with the added benefit of the increased fuel mileage.

jetting

That's better - thanks for the info gentleman. I hope to be in the carbs tonight or tomorrow. Will confirm what I find, Sounds like there's not much room to jet her down. Most of my polaris sleds could stand a leaner needle or a drop in the main jet a couple sizes from factory specs.

Once I get the jetting figured out I'll focus on the clutching and gearing. Sounds like a Hauck blue primary spring and a 49/43 helix are the ticket...

Thanks again.

The key will be to see what is in there allready, and go from there. Id jet it for sea lvl, and let it get a bit richer up in the hills. A plug wrench will be your friend for a little while, lol. Also, when the carbs come out, if the fuel lines are hard/stiff, replacements are cheap, and a tottal burn down from a leaky old line is never fun!! :cussing:

jetting

Silver, all over that suggestion. While I was in there I definately was planning on replacing the fuel lines as they are hard. I'm also going to check the pulse and oil lines.

Good suggestion...

Thanks

Lol, no problem! I learned the hard way last year, after splitting on of my carb lines like it was a peice of straw!! Thank god my sled had some fuel cutoff's put in place up by the pull cord, or else I would have emptyed about 3 galons of gas into the bellypan of my sled!! lol. The other neat trick for better gas milage can be done while changing thouse hoses over too!!! Use about 10 feet of extra hose when replacing the lines!!! All that extra gas will extend your range, and you will only notice it at the fuel pumps and in your wallet!!! :a7:

u guys whant 2 get fuel mileage then install holtzman temp compensators in the air box and hook up 2 ur air cicuits on ur carb and never worry about burn downs and u will run max fuel milleage and performance it works great. u can allso use dial a jet and they now have a newer verstion out which works for all lean conditions. that set up will run u 2 to 3 main jet sizes smaller and will run like a clock. as tyhats what its desingned 2 do AL

Sounds like big $$$$ to me though. Im all good for mods, but big projects and wiring and what not are a little out of my reach at the moment.

jetting

Well 143.8 mains and 47.5 pilots. Fuel lines are hard as rock so those will be being replaced along with the oil and pulse lines. Plan on dropping the needles one clip and leaving the mains alone. We'll see what that does for the next trip.

Thanks to those that supplied info...

You are too funny. Yes. Vmax4s are HARD on gas. If Im going on a short trip. I'd take my 93 750. But If I wanna go a couple hundred kilos then you can bet your a** that unless I want to pay a fortune for gas. Im takin' my Vmax 500.

You are too funny. Yes. Vmax4s are HARD on gas. If Im going on a short trip. I'd take my 93 750. But If I wanna go a couple hundred kilos then you can bet your a** that unless I want to pay a fortune for gas. Im takin' my Vmax 500.

SMART GIRL!!!!!

Back